• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your kid a Diabetic?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:10 PM
  • 24 Replies

DH saw the doc today. He was diagnosed with Diabetes last year. The doc said he has to stop drinking sugarfree juice. He drinks probably a half gallon a day.

Other than water what is a diabetic supposed to drink?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM

My mom drinks diet dr. pepper and LOTS of water. My son isn't diabetic but has blood glucose issues so we keep him away from juices cuz they can shoot him up to 300. We only give him formula and water (and yes he is 4 and on formula, he has GI issues) to drink and juice is a rare occasion. Stop buying juice, that stuff is horribly full of sugar no matter if it is "natural" or any of that crap, it's bad

Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Oh I just thought, my mom drinks flavored waters too, only bad thing is the sodium in them. Also we get crystal light type powdered juice stuff. It's sugar free and really good.

raegansmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM
I've been diabetic for 18 years. I have always drank sugar free drinks as well as iced tea & water. What exactly is your dh drinking?
I just re read, sugar free juice is far from sugar free. All juice has carbs. Carbs, protein& fat can all raise your blood sugar. He needs to stick with drinks that have no carbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:21 PM
The artificial sweeteners are horrible for everyone. There are links between them and alzheimers as well as intestinal/Colon issues.
Try flavored teas ( you can sweeten with stevia) or there is a product called crystal light pure that is sweetened with stevia as well.
If you have a trader joes or whole foods they have lines of sugar free sodas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:21 PM

This is the ingredients for a different type of pack (it's packs for individiual servings but it's the same thingas the pic above)

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1/2 pack (2g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
Calories 5

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0g 0%
  Saturated Fat 0g 0%
  Polyunsaturated Fat 0g  
  Monounsaturated Fat 0g  
  Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0mg 0%
Potassium 15mg  
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
  Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
  Sugars 0g  
  Other Carbohydrate 0g  
Protein 0g  

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:21 PM
My dad drinks ice tea with Splenda.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wishonme_2000
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I've been a diabetic since I was 9 Im 30 now I drink sugarfree and carb free drinks Ive never heard of sugar free jiuce as long as you look at the labels and their sugar free and carb free your in the clear 

coug7099
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I always thought that Diabetics drank diet soda. How would that be any different than diet/sugar free drinks like Crystal Light?

I wish I had asked the doc about diet soda but DH hates that just as much as he hates water so probably won't touch it.

Quoting Mipsy:

My mom drinks diet dr. pepper and LOTS of water. My son isn't diabetic but has blood glucose issues so we keep him away from juices cuz they can shoot him up to 300. We only give him formula and water (and yes he is 4 and on formula, he has GI issues) to drink and juice is a rare occasion. Stop buying juice, that stuff is horribly full of sugar no matter if it is "natural" or any of that crap, it's bad

coug7099
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM

It tastes like Crystal light but it is store brand. Fruit punch or grape packets that we mix with water.

He won't drink hot or iced tea. He does drink coffee with equal in the mornings.

Hmmmm no carbs huh? I better read the label. Thanks.

Quoting raegansmom:

I've been diabetic for 18 years. I have always drank sugar free drinks as well as iced tea & water. What exactly is your dh drinking?
I just re read, sugar free juice is far from sugar free. All juice has carbs. Carbs, protein& fat can all raise your blood sugar. He needs to stick with drinks that have no carbs.

mommybug77
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Dh has been a diabetic for 30 years and drinks diet coke and coffee
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)