Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Share your family or ethnic recipe! Pic Heavy

Posted by   + Show Post

Mine, How to make Lebana. What is Lebana you may ask. Well its basically plain yogurt that has been drained and is slightly salty. Its very tasty. It isn't an aggressive taste at all. You can add lemon to it, make it into a tazaki sauce by adding thinly sliced cucumbers. Its excellent with Chicken served over rice, dip pita bread or stuffed grape leaves in it. You can use it on sandwiches if you want to avoid mayo. The possibilities are endless.

What you will need

1 large container of plain full fat yogurt any size but keep in mind when its drained the end product will be about half so plan accordingly

1 large pitcher

small colander

cheese cloth or thinly weaved cloth napkin (when my cloth napkins get stained up this is what I use them for)

plain hair tie or string

long thin object such as chopstick, kabob skewer, thin spoon something

salt

Step 1. Place small colander on the top of the pitcher inside line the cheese cloth

Step 2. Add ALL of the yogurt  to the inside of the lined colander and salt to over salty but not gag me salty

Step 3. Pull up the cheese cloth and secure with hair tie, or string and then gently massage the yogurt to get the liquid out, GENTLY very very gently! You will notice a lot of liquid starts to drip out, that's a good sign.

Step 4. Put long thin object through the tie and suspend yogurt in cheese cloth inside the pitcher

Step 5. Leave it in the refrigerator to drain for anywhere from 12-24 hours, check on it every few hours, and give it a gentle massage. You know when its done when it stops dripping and it feels thickened.

Step 6. Salt to taste and then if desired add whatever spices you like. Ideas- fresh dill, fresh cilantro, thinly sliced cucumbersor onion, lemon, minced garlic ect.

So whats your recipe?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
jadsmummy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting shajdinyak:

Love lebana and Leban! Yummy! We use to make it but have been too lazy since having kids. LOL. We still get it when we go to my in laws!

Its out of necessity that I make it LOL. I used to be able to buy it but now that we have moved not one store up here carries it. :( I love it with rice. DH isn't picky he will have yogurt or sour cream with the rice and meat but I love love love it with lebana.

jadsmummy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM

bump

safi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM

im jealous of how clean your fridge is

shajdinyak
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Yum! I like to dip my cucumbers or pita with zatar zeate. My mil use to make both but since she has gotten older and health issues I think she buys it too.
I like it with mjedra too yum!

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting shajdinyak:

Love lebana and Leban! Yummy! We use to make it but have been too lazy since having kids. LOL. We still get it when we go to my in laws!

Its out of necessity that I make it LOL. I used to be able to buy it but now that we have moved not one store up here carries it. :( I love it with rice. DH isn't picky he will have yogurt or sour cream with the rice and meat but I love love love it with lebana.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Quoting safi:

I keep it very clean to begin with, but it is Wednesday and Wednesday is clean the frig and go grocery shopping day for me.

safi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

lol oh, alright! ما شاء الله

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting safi:

I keep it very clean to begin with, but it is Wednesday and Wednesday is clean the frig and go grocery shopping day for me.

jadsmummy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

yummy! Does she teach you how to make things? My MIL is going to teach me when we go visit this year. I am super excited. Tonight I am making goat and rice with stuffed grape leaves. I don't know how to make the grape leaves myself, I buy them in the can. I can't wait to know how to make them myself. Buying them is super expensive!

Quoting shajdinyak:

Yum! I like to dip my cucumbers or pita with zatar zeate. My mil use to make both but since she has gotten older and health issues I think she buys it too.

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting shajdinyak:

jadsmummy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

And you can't see the door. Its where all of the condiments are, and well, its a total unorganized mess. If the bottle fits I mush it in there LOL. See I am not a stepford wife, it just happens to be Wednesday LOL.

Quoting safi:

lol oh, alright! ما شاء الله

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting safi:

shajdinyak
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM
I've made stuff following recipes grape leaves included. I know Its not as good as hers! She has showed me but she struggles with her English. Also we live five hours away so our trips are pretty rushed but before she got sick she definitely showed tried teaching me. Good luck with grape leaves! They are so yummy too!

Quoting jadsmummy:

yummy! Does she teach you how to make things? My MIL is going to teach me when we go visit this year. I am super excited. Tonight I am making goat and rice with stuffed grape leaves. I don't know how to make the grape leaves myself, I buy them in the can. I can't wait to know how to make them myself. Buying them is super expensive!

Quoting shajdinyak:

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting shajdinyak:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine lives an ocean and a sea away, so visits are very rare. :(  My bff makes stuffed grape leaves that are fantastic! She stuffs them with ground lamb or beef. They are so good! She makes them in this big pot and like steams them or something. IDK how she does it but its excellent!  

Quoting shajdinyak:

I've made stuff following recipes grape leaves included. I know Its not as good as hers! She has showed me but she struggles with her English. Also we live five hours away so our trips are pretty rushed but before she got sick she definitely showed tried teaching me. Good luck with grape leaves! They are so yummy too!

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting shajdinyak:

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting shajdinyak:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)