Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: What're your thoughts?

Options:

Asking for money and food are rude requests.

Asking for money is a rude request, but asking for food is not.

Asking for food is a rude request, but asking for money is not.

Neither request is rude.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 272

View Results

I just got a wedding invitation for a friend of my husband's, and a couple of the requests on it have rubbed a few people the wrong way. 

For example, they put in a note that says "In lieu of household items, plese send or gift funds to help the lovely couple reach their dream of a parisian honeymoon".  Almost everyone going to the wedding is a bit perturbed by that.

Also, they've said some food and drink will be provided, but guests are also expected to bring dishes.  I have never been to a wedding where you're supposed to bring food.  That also is rubbing a lot of people the wrong way, like you're only invited if you bring food and money. 

IDK...what do you ladies think? I'm curious to see some opinions of people who don't know them, just outside perspective. 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
bearsbabies
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM
wouldnt bother me any. sounds like the people they r inviting they assume to b close freinds who understand tneir situation and needs. maybe they shoukd have been more selective about who they invited
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
metalhealthmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM
I think it's fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bearsbabies
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM
sorry for the typos im mobile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmandaFigment
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Hard to judge without knowing their financial circumstances. Maybe they could have worded it better... Idk...

I had a small reception, but we still provided the food, lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

A wedding invitation for a friend of my husband's...that means my husband's friend, not my friend's husband.  I think you read it incorrectly. 

Quoting TheMrs407:

I think it's rude, though I have known a few people who have very low key, weddings and a pot luck wouldn't be far off.  How is your friend's husband getting married?  Isn't he already married?

moogsmom03
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM

IDK, weird for sure. I'd be ok with the first request. But bring a dish to pass to a wedding? I'd save that one for a backyard bbq.

kathislove80
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM
This

Quoting sandra_t00:

not only rude, but very tacky.

why have a party you can't afford?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Ahhh, yes, that makes much more sense...unless you know a polygamist. :)

Quoting Ashgambit:

A wedding invitation for a friend of my husband's...that means my husband's friend, not my friend's husband.  I think you read it incorrectly. 

Quoting TheMrs407:

I think it's rude, though I have known a few people who have very low key, weddings and a pot luck wouldn't be far off.  How is your friend's husband getting married?  Isn't he already married?

Mrs_Szontagh
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

can't afford a wedding? don't have one. that's ridiculous!

1stpreggers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Ppl often ask for contributions for their honeymoon, there's just better ways to go about it . My friend is getting married, on their webpage they have a link where you can give money . I've heard of potluck receptions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)