Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Part-time working Moms/SAHMs

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:42 PM
  • 4 Replies

How much did money play into your decision to work??

I have always wanted to teach to underprivileged students. However, when it came time to student teach I wasn't ready to leave my own kids, so I got my BA in History. I have sub'ed at the high schools and would like to tutor. A job just opened at a Youth Home helping students earn their GEDs. It only pays $11.00/hr and it's 30min away but I think it's something I would really enjoy doing, a fulfilling sort of job. Now I have been a SAHM for 7yrs and love it and find it fulfilling as well, but I feel like this may be my opportunity to work a little bit at something I love (you know until I open a bakery, lol) but still get to be home most of the time with my kids. 

Like i said I woul really prefer to tutor but i haven't been able to find any programs through the Y or the schools that have paid tutoring available and I really thought there would be a lot of remedial type things over the summer???

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MamaPeanut
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM
If you think it will make you happy, then go for it! :)

Personally, I can't imagine doing anything for only $11. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I almost agree, but nothing in childcare/education ever pays very much (except tutoring I really wish I could find a tutoring job). How ironic is that? 

Quoting MamaPeanut:

If you think it will make you happy, then go for it! :)

Personally, I can't imagine doing anything for only $11. Lol

TSNDDY
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM
I work because we need the extra money.. That said I waitress so hourly wage is only $9
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM
My friend started her own tutoring business out of her house. She was very successful. She quit because she got a full-time teaching job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)