Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any RN mommas out there?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have been trying to get my schooling done so I can apply for the nursing program at my school. Life has thrown many challenges and I eventually took a break from it. I have signed up to take A&P this fall on Saturday's. I am a single mom who works full time. I am so excited and know I am headed in the right direction.

I would love to hear from other moms who are in a similar postition or who have already graduated and work as an RN. Its inspiring.

Thanks Ladies!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
luvtohunt
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM
I'm half way through theRN program! It is awesome and worth the hard work. Your children are the most important, so spend quality time with them and set some extra time aside for studying!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandi2781
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM
I just got accepted into a nursing.g program. While I am married, my DH is a truck driver so I raise my kids physically and emotionally by myself basically except the 2 days he is home a week. While it is hard, it is completely worth it! Best of luck to you momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM
I'm in a&p right now. I'm lacking two classes and then I can apply. Gl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sissyboogs
by Katie on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Well, I'm an LPN...

But, I started school when my daughter was only 3 weeks old! My son had just turned 2. Granted, I was married, but he worked second shift. So, I'd go to school in the morning, come home and take care of the kids alone, then study after they went to bed. 

I graduated exactly 1 week before my daughter's first birthday. 

It's hard, but you CAN do it momma!! Good luck! 

I'll be going back to be an RN once my kids are in school. 

Sweetlemonlove
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Thanks ladies. I am so excited. I have A&P to take, Chem 111, and sociology (random lol) Before I can apply. I wish I didnt have to work full time. I love the input!

Frank30
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I have been in nursing for over 25 years. I was a candy striper in high school, a CNA while I went to LPN school in 1987. I worked as an LPN for five years while going to school part time for my associates.I finally graduated in Spring of 1992.  I went back for my Bachelors in Summer of 1999 graduated in 2002( had my daughter in May 2000). I have my masters in health care management (2006). I would love another degree but the cost and time are holding me back right now, but I hope to get a doctorate of some sort before I retire. I have worked surgical (ortho, neuro, general) for 5 years as a LPN, pediatrics for 2 years( my least favorite), went to progressive care unit for a year then to the intensive care unit, then cardiovascular ICU. I was a nurse manager for telephone triage for 5 years and am currently working as a system clinical educator for a large healthcare system. I have worked at the same organization my entire career

I have always worked full time *( I also work on call as house supervisor for a different hospital). I have one chil who is almost 12 and my husband is rarely home; currently deployed and when not activated works in another state ( 3 hours away) so is only home on the weekends.

Take one class at a time and do not think of what is ahead of you or it can be overwhelming. I almost quit every program I started and took a few breaks along the way. Good Luck!

SusanD
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:10 AM
I'm a RN, and while I am not a single mother my husband was deployed or away the majority of the time that I was in school which made for some childcare challenges. I can't offer advice ob the financial aspects f being a single mom and nursing school but as far as the lack of physical help....maybe I can.

My best suggestion is to do EVERYTHING in your power to get your family on a schedule. Work on your time management skills, and find a REALLY good and reliable childcare solution well in advance.

I personally find that working is far more easy (time, childcare,etc wise) than school ever was, even though I work 12hr night shifts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)