Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you judge a parent on the way their kid acts?

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't--because I never know the whole situation of what is going on--

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
Audreysmommy123
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM
If i dont know the person no..but if i Do know them..yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Not on the way their child acts, but I do sometimes based on the parent's actions.  For example, if I'm at the store or a restaurant or something like that, and a child is acting out, I never judge.  I know some children are autistic and get overstimulated, I know sometimes children are sick, etc...there's so many possibilities to what could be happening that my first reaction is to just shrug it off because it's not really my business unless there's something I can do to help. 

However, if there's a child my school bullying my daughter, and the parents don't do anything about it, yes I'll judge and I'll get pissed.  I'm not proud of it, but it's going to happen.  There was an incident with a child that was hitting other kids, and the teachers and parents kept talking to the child's mom, but she would just smile and say "kids will be kids".  The school had to threaten expulsion before the mom finally decided to do something about it. 

Pnukey
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Yes.

ashleigh24
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
A random kid in grocery store? No. My niece that acts absolutely horrible because her grandma is raising her (and gives her anything and everything she wants no matter what) yes I blame her parents!!! Her mom cheated on her dad after 10 years and then got caught and left him and her dd behind. Her dad works offshore and is gone 6 weeks and home only 2 weeks!!! It is a horrible situation and if I was her dad I would find a job at home so I could raise MY child that I made not my mom made!!!! Ugh I get so mad!!! Sorry I'll quit rambling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Nope. Every child has a hideous moment or two :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Only twice...one the kid acted out in odd ways, and I found the family strange.  If you let an eight year old play Grand Theft Auto then yes I'm afraid I'm going to judge you--for being crazy if nothing else.  There is  terrible violence, not to mention strong sexual themes. That wasn't the only reason, just one that bothered me.  To me Grand Theft should never have been made in the first place; other video games don't bother me as much.  The other time a father sat there and let his son talk back to me in my own house.  So yeah, there was some judgment going on...like 'can't you control your son?  Usually I might think well I wouldn't do such and such, but the parents aren't bad ones..it just isn't how I would do things.

Apollos82
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM
You bet I do. Character has nothing to do with personality. If a child lacks character, it's generally the parents' lack of character showing through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM

What if the parents tried everything possible-showed morals, values, respect and modeled that for the kid and they still acted up?

Quoting Apollos82:

You bet I do. Character has nothing to do with personality. If a child lacks character, it's generally the parents' lack of character showing through.

Apollos82
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess I should clarify that I a child acts up, generally, I don't judge. But if I know that I know that I know that a child is a brat 24/7, I look to the parent. 12+ years in child care has taught me that much.

Quoting lifeisajoy:

What if the parents tried everything possible-showed morals, values, respect and modeled that for the kid and they still acted up?

Quoting Apollos82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisa601
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM
I'll admit that I do but it is based more on the parent's reaction to the behavior than the behavior itself. DS has a friend that is so spoiled but I don't really blame him after watching him with his parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)