• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serious inner debate and I am seriously confused.

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM
  • 17 Replies
So I want to open my own bakery. More like a sweet shoppe. Not a specialty cake shop. At all.

I am a stay at home mom. Have been for 4 years.

I've always said that I didn't want to do something with my life that I didn't absolutely love and take that time away from my children. Well opening a bakery is something I've dreamed of for a very long time.

So my debate within myself is, should I go to school for some business courses to better prepare myself for a bakery.
It is more like a 5 year plan.

Advice on any area would be great. Please and thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stockuponlove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stockuponlove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You do need to learn about basic accounting principals and how to prepare payroll and payroll reports. Otherwise, you have to pay someone else to do it, and it's really not that hard.

Ashley_Carlson
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM

If you want to open a bakery, then do it! Take some accounting classes first at least.

stockuponlove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Thank you. I just don't want to go into this with hopes and prayers and watch it crumble without even having a fighting chance. I want to be smart about it

Quoting Pnukey:

You do need to learn about basic accounting principals and how to prepare payroll and payroll reports. Otherwise, you have to pay someone else to do it, and it's really not that hard.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stockuponlove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Thank you. Just so you know I think of you and your LO often. I hope all is well

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

If you want to open a bakery, then do it! Take some accounting classes first at least.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley_Carlson
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM

You're welcome and thank you! DD is stable and sleeping peacefully right now.

Quoting stockuponlove:

Thank you. Just so you know I think of you and your LO often. I hope all is well

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Yes Definitely take some business courses if you are not familiar with the financial side of running a business.  Does no specialty mean that people couldn't special order items from you?

stockuponlove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:00 PM
That's great to hear!

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

You're welcome and thank you! DD is stable and sleeping peacefully right now.

Quoting stockuponlove:

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stockuponlove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Yes they always could. However I will not do the wild crazy fondant cakes and what not. But special cakes as in favors, wording, and design. Yes.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes Definitely take some business courses if you are not familiar with the financial side of running a business.  Does no specialty mean that people couldn't special order items from you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)