Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help me surprise a friend whose husband is deployed

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I have quickly become extremely close to a former client of mine (I am a doula.).  I volunteered my services to them when the Dad was deploying and his wife was expecting their first child.  He missed it all but I really grew close to her and love her to death.  Well, he is deployed again and is missing out on their 3rd anniversary in a row...they have been married for 3 years. Both of them are taking this deployment really hard, so I am really trying my best to step in and be there.  Because of where he is, they have barely any contact and he is in the process of moving to a new location and cannot contact her for another 2 weeks at least.

Anyway, I am going to her house tomorrow to do some baking with her for a Passion Party she is having Friday night.  I want to surprise her with something to brighten her day.  I am definitely thinking roses, but what else?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
nebcutie
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Bath salts and body wash that smells good or a movie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovebugs0710
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Flowers would've done it for me lol.  I don't have any friends like that :(  Maybe a gift certificate to get a massage or something like that?  

You are a great friend and she is so lucky to have you :)

turtle07
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM
Maybe a "coupon" for free baby sitting and a gift cert. For a massage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof3smoochies
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM
A gift certificate to a spa.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thickmamaof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM
is there anything she has mentioned needing or wanting? Like money for a toy her kids been begging for or a dress she saw and loved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mymanben
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Something really girlie. Chick fliks....bath salts...take her to get her nails done...or hair done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Thank you.  I just cannot imagine the stress and emotional toll, so I am trying my best to be supportive.  Both of them call me her "husband" in an endearing way and I know this means a lot to them to have me around.  I am trying to invite her to all our fun stuff (like strawberry picking) and taking tons of pictures so he can see them.  We even made jam for him with our berries and its in his care package :)  I have grown so close to them so fast and feel like I have known them forever.

I bought her tickets to a burlesque show she was dying to go to.  She refused to spend the money on it and I gave them to her to take another friend.  I am watching their daughter because I am the only one she trusts.  I gave them to her last week totally forgetting that her anniversary was coming.  I just want her to get out and have some time for herself.   She is now seeing a therapist to help with her depression and help her cope with the emotions.  My heart just breaks for her.

Quoting lovebugs0710:

Flowers would've done it for me lol.  I don't have any friends like that :(  Maybe a gift certificate to get a massage or something like that?  

lovebugs0710
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I wish I could've had someone like you the times my husband has been deployed lol.

Quoting bellawomen:

Thank you.  I just cannot imagine the stress and emotional toll, so I am trying my best to be supportive.  Both of them call me her "husband" in an endearing way and I know this means a lot to them to have me around.  I am trying to invite her to all our fun stuff (like strawberry picking) and taking tons of pictures so he can see them.  We even made jam for him with our berries and its in his care package :)  I have grown so close to them so fast and feel like I have known them forever.

I bought her tickets to a burlesque show she was dying to go to.  She refused to spend the money on it and I gave them to her to take another friend.  I am watching their daughter because I am the only one she trusts.  I gave them to her last week totally forgetting that her anniversary was coming.  I just want her to get out and have some time for herself.   She is now seeing a therapist to help with her depression and help her cope with the emotions.  My heart just breaks for her.

Quoting lovebugs0710:

bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM

OK so I was talking to my husband and he thinks flowers will be too much for her and might make her even more sad :(   What do you ladies think?

I wish I had more time and thought about this earlier and I could have make her favorite cupcakes :/   Maybe I will hit up a local cupcake shop.  I am not a fan of their oily frosting, but they just won Cupcake Wars (Little Cakes, Vista, CA).  She LOVES cupcakes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)