Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Seriously.. if you can't afford $50 to make sure your child has an unexpired car seat something is fucking wrong with you

Update... I replied under the ad.. don't care if people get bitchy..this is what I wrote.

just an FYI its actually illegal in Canada to use an expired car seat.. if you ever got an accident you could be charged.. this is from transport canada "The provincial and territorial laws also say that the children's car seats and booster cushions must be certified to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and must be used according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't follow the instructions, or if you use them past their expiry or useful life dates - you may be putting your child's safety at risk and you may be found guilty of breaking the law. "

Best thing to do is cut the straps.. write on it expired. and throw it in the garbage.. car seats expire for a reason.. not worth it to save $50

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Replies (91-100):
redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Le sigh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DropZoneMom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM

And if you can't afford $50, there are a lot of organizations that give away car seats. 

For a couple of years, when my kids were younger, I used to buy car seats & booster seats (brand new) on clearance, and keep them in the back of my minivan.  If I saw someone driving without their kids properly restrained, I would follow them and offer them one -- and then help install it properly.   I gave away probably 10 or 12 seats in a couple of years.   Not a lot -- but it also gave me the chance to educated those parents.   I don't notice nearly as many kids unrestrained as I did a decade ago.

ForeverInLove
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM

There is no 'awesome'ness about what I am doing. I'm doing what I am supposed to do as a parent. I'm looking to afford what I can for the safety of my child. My seat is costing more, because it's not a single stage car seat. It will rear face until 40lbs, and then harness until 65lbs or until they outgrow the top harness slots. It's good reason it costs more. It also has safety surround, which is added protection for newborns. We are using from newborn stage. The seat is awesome... but I am not awesome for buying it.

People knit-pick because we want to advocate for the children who don't know any better. If we won't advocate, who will? Children are none-the-wiser to what can happen. I know parents sometimes think they are their child's best advocate, but I tell you, in many cases, my son's teachers are his best advocates. I have a son in special education. I am waiting on them to tell me what his diagnosis will be. This way, they can help me, help him. They are advocating for my child, because they are more knowledgable about what he is going through with his difficulties. I'm am an advocate of proper car seat use, for the children's who's parents may not know better, or choose to be ignorant. All I can do is keep spreading the word, and keep trying to educate others. In the end, it is your child. But, in the end of an accident, what will their questions be if their child is hurt or dead?

Quoting HouseMa:

That's good for you....and you're awesome for doing that.

But, as far as I'm concerned, if people want others to keep their children safe, carseats should cost no more than 100 dollars.  There is NO NEED to have a seat retailing at 180 dollars.  That is a money grab. 

I'd be willing to bet, to make the average car seat would cost less than 80 dollars.  But, because they can, they drive the costs up for no other reason. 

You do what you can...you chose to do it your way.  I refuse to condemn someone for doing it the way they can.  I also would refuse to post this and have a ton of strangers nit picking another strangers post. 

Quoting ForeverInLove:

If people cannot afford a seat, all they need to do is open their mouths and ask around. There are many places that can help in getting a seat. Child Advocacy here, locally, gets so many car seats allotted to them every little while that they can hand out. 

Car seat Safety Events often have a limited amount of seats to hand out for those who bring in seats that are expired, purchased used (you don't know it's history), or have been in an accident and are still being used.

There really isn't an excuse for not having a non-expired seat. There are options. I would be willing to bet that most of the people who will say, "At least my kid has a seat!", probably have a lot of 'extras' at home. Swings, bouncers, jumpers, walkers, exercausers... all that is extra. How much is their cell bill? I dropped my cell down to just the regular old phone so I could afford to buy diapers (we use cloth) for our upcoming son, as well as a seat that is retailing at $180. I even knocked our tv package down so that I could save $15 there. The Cosco Scenera is a $50 seat.... while it's not what we are getting, it's a good seat to use for those who are monetarily compromised. They can give up something for af ew months in order to afford what is best for their child. An expired seat can lead to the child's death just as much as no seat. 

sqeegiemom2
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Free is better than none. Honestly if a carseat is in working order and has all the right parts who cares if it is expired? How the heck can a carseat expire anyway?
huntersmama711
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Quick question: is the expiration date 5 years from date printed on car seat? I only found one date on ds's car seat do I wasn't sure?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Just read one or two pages of replies. There's no telling if a car seat is actually safe after it's expiration date. The materials get weak and start degrading just like any other material. When the plastic gets brittle and starts cracking (which you have no way to know) your child is not protected.

Quoting sqeegiemom2:

Free is better than none. Honestly if a carseat is in working order and has all the right parts who cares if it is expired? How the heck can a carseat expire anyway?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TSNDDY
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Ok so I'm not the only one! That's good to know hopefully it will be there today!

Quoting ejbljb:

Mine just came yesterday. It was really late this month. 

Quoting TSNDDY:

Ok I had really been depending on that money this week to pay some bills and I've been getting worried

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mi4339mi
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM

If the carseat straps and plastic degrade over time, what about the actual CAR'S straps and plastic? So you have to keep upgrading carseats but the 15 yr old car that the carseat is in is fine.*rolls eyes*

I think it's a bunch of BS to get people to constantly spend more money. Of course I wouldn't use a 20 yr old carseat, but if I had a 5 yr old carseat, you bet your ass I would use it.

jnttd
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM
It varies from seat to seat. If it's a date five years from now that's most likely it. Many seats have a did year limit and the seat could have been manufactured last year.

Quoting huntersmama711:

Quick question: is the expiration date 5 years from date printed on car seat? I only found one date on ds's car seat do I wasn't sure?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Much of the interior of cars is metal. Most of a car seat is plastic.

Quoting mi4339mi:

If the carseat straps and plastic degrade over time, what about the actual CAR'S straps and plastic? So you have to keep upgrading carseats but the 15 yr old car that the carseat is in is fine.*rolls eyes*

I think it's a bunch of BS to get people to constantly spend more money. Of course I wouldn't use a 20 yr old carseat, but if I had a 5 yr old carseat, you bet your ass I would use it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN