Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Seriously.. if you can't afford $50 to make sure your child has an unexpired car seat something is fucking wrong with you

Update... I replied under the ad.. don't care if people get bitchy..this is what I wrote.

just an FYI its actually illegal in Canada to use an expired car seat.. if you ever got an accident you could be charged.. this is from transport canada "The provincial and territorial laws also say that the children's car seats and booster cushions must be certified to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and must be used according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't follow the instructions, or if you use them past their expiry or useful life dates - you may be putting your child's safety at risk and you may be found guilty of breaking the law. "

Best thing to do is cut the straps.. write on it expired. and throw it in the garbage.. car seats expire for a reason.. not worth it to save $50

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Replies (101-110):
huntersmama711
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Hmm, the only date I found said 2010 but didn't say expiration on it. My dad got it on clearance last month at the store and it was the display model so no handbook came with it

Quoting jnttd:

It varies from seat to seat. If it's a date five years from now that's most likely it. Many seats have a did year limit and the seat could have been manufactured last year.

Quoting huntersmama711:

Quick question: is the expiration date 5 years from date printed on car seat? I only found one date on ds's car seat do I wasn't sure?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ollie123
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Yep I have tossed all my old seats.
supermama322
by Made in Canada on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Ugh, definitely so illegal here in Canada. I sold my daughter's carseat on Used Regina. The lady who bought it told me she was needing a carseat because she got pulled over in a carseat stop check! The cops were checking car seats for proper installation and expiry dates. All 3 of her seats were expired. She got a ticket for 175$ PER carseat and was told to get new ones immediately.

mi4339mi
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm talking about the car's seatbelt that is supposed to be securing the carseat in.

The seatbelt straps appear to be made of the same material as carseat straps, yet no one advocates replacing them every 5 years. The housing where you secure the seatbelt in is plastic. If you check out the rollers that roll and unroll the carseat belts, they are made of plastic. The stoppers that stop the seatbelt from expanding are plastic.

Quoting jnttd:

Much of the interior of cars is metal. Most of a car seat is plastic.

Quoting mi4339mi:

If the carseat straps and plastic degrade over time, what about the actual CAR'S straps and plastic? So you have to keep upgrading carseats but the 15 yr old car that the carseat is in is fine.*rolls eyes*

I think it's a bunch of BS to get people to constantly spend more money. Of course I wouldn't use a 20 yr old carseat, but if I had a 5 yr old carseat, you bet your ass I would use it.

supermama322
by Made in Canada on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM

The cops care.... It's illegal.

eye rolling

Quoting sqeegiemom2:

Free is better than none. Honestly if a carseat is in working order and has all the right parts who cares if it is expired? How the heck can a carseat expire anyway?

kstanley_86
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Bump for computer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand why so many people are self-righteous about doing the bare minimum, then cite price as a factor. I can't believe anyone would care how much it costs to keep their child safe. "I spent X amount 7 years ago and damn it I'm getting my money's worth". This is your child's life at stake, why take the risk because your seat still looks new? It's SCIENCE, not a conspiracy theory. Plastic and fabric break down over time. Swallow your damn pride and throw out your expired seat, or the seat Junior was in when you got rear-ended, or the seat you got from a yard sale that isn't expired and "looks perfect, was only $20!"

People amaze me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OceanGoddess
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM
We used my dd expired carseat but only in the stroller not in the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Shoot my son has an Evenflo Maestro I bought at toys r us for 58 bucks..and it goes up to 100lbs! You can usually catch good deals on car seats if you shop around.

Quoting acaisha:

the plastic and straps break down and they are no longer safe to use.. the thing is .. if its expired now.. how long is she going to use it? For $50 she could have bought the good one.. sorry.. no not better then nothing.. totally unsafe.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Not only do both of those seats look gross...

That Cosco that she wants $50 for doesn't even cost $50 brand new...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-Convertible-Car-Seat-Quigley/19206610 Different print, but only $39...lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN