Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Seriously.. if you can't afford $50 to make sure your child has an unexpired car seat something is fucking wrong with you

Update... I replied under the ad.. don't care if people get bitchy..this is what I wrote.

just an FYI its actually illegal in Canada to use an expired car seat.. if you ever got an accident you could be charged.. this is from transport canada "The provincial and territorial laws also say that the children's car seats and booster cushions must be certified to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and must be used according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't follow the instructions, or if you use them past their expiry or useful life dates - you may be putting your child's safety at risk and you may be found guilty of breaking the law. "

Best thing to do is cut the straps.. write on it expired. and throw it in the garbage.. car seats expire for a reason.. not worth it to save $50

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Replies (131-133):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM
This is what a car seat tech friend of mine said:

"Plastic breaks down over time, regardless of whether or not its actually being used. I like to use the plastic yard furniture scenerio... after a few years it starts to get brittle and break. Carseats do the same thing, only the plastic is a bit different so they might not chip and break, but when you put all those crash forces (high school physics taught you weight x speed = force!) on it that it will fail. And since its a life saving device I wouldn't advising testing out when it might fail and trust the manufacture on that! They aren't out to get your money, they are saving your child's life!"

Quoting LovelyBugs:

okay I have a very stupid question to ask but please dont bash....how is it that carseats expire...I have always replaced mine but never got how they expire? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acaisha
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM

sometimes $50 can mean the difference between alive and dead in a car accident too... go to the food bank.

Quoting momof31995:

Sometimes for some of us an extra $50 could mean the difference between eating and starving. Sometimes $50 can be as elusive as a million.

I can't believe in this economy people would consider this as a fail.

acaisha
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I've lived in less then $1000 for 4 people a month.. my kids were never without a car sear that was legal.. and never would be.. I lived without a car I just walked or road my bike.. i would never put my kids life at risk.

Quoting AmaliaD:

Way to judge the poor.... be careful... someday you might have to eat those words.. you wouldnt want to choke.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN