Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Seriously.. if you can't afford $50 to make sure your child has an unexpired car seat something is fucking wrong with you

Update... I replied under the ad.. don't care if people get bitchy..this is what I wrote.

just an FYI its actually illegal in Canada to use an expired car seat.. if you ever got an accident you could be charged.. this is from transport canada "The provincial and territorial laws also say that the children's car seats and booster cushions must be certified to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and must be used according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't follow the instructions, or if you use them past their expiry or useful life dates - you may be putting your child's safety at risk and you may be found guilty of breaking the law. "

Best thing to do is cut the straps.. write on it expired. and throw it in the garbage.. car seats expire for a reason.. not worth it to save $50

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Replies (81-90):
TSNDDY
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Ok I had really been depending on that money this week to pay some bills and I've been getting worried

Quoting acaisha:

it shouldn't but I do mine direct deposit .. I think they say if you haven't gotten it in a week to call. I'd wait until monday and give them a call. This post reminded me I really need to get my taxes mailed in too lol .. only have until monday .. mine are done I just haven't mailed them yet.

Quoting TSNDDY:

Weird question I always got my UCCB in the mail... I just applied to get it for DS 10 months..

And I haven't gotten the cheque for this month yet for DD.. So when you applied for another child did it affect the payments you had already been receiving?

Quoting acaisha:

how old is your baby? I think my last it took 4-5 months to get it.. a while

Quoting tortuga_beto:

I have applied, ive just br

been waiting for it

Quoting TSNDDY:

Apply they backpay that!!! :)

Quoting tortuga_beto:

Ooo i see what your saying. i haven't received that at all yet, forgot about it temporarily. i barely qualify for cctb

Quoting TSNDDY:

I meant the UCCB which everyone gets for having a kid under 6..

It's the only thing I get I don't qualify for cctb

Quoting tortuga_beto:

My son is in a car seat and under 6 and i get less than 100

Quoting TSNDDY:

Well if the kids in a car seat he's under 6 do she's at least getting $100/month

Quoting tortuga_beto:

Child tax benefit is not always that high. but i agree theres no excuse for not spending $50 on your child's safety

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting charliebean:

Yeah, total fail for not having $50 but still wanting to keep your child safe.

considering she lives in Canada so I can tell you even with one kid shes getting easily $200-$400 a month child tax benifit.. more if she is low income or has more then one child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HouseMa
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

So, it's far safer to have a kid in NO carseat then one that is expired...give me a frigging break. 

I'm sure that if people are pulled over for not having a carseat the police officer will totally say 'oh, yes, it's much safer to have that baby in no carseat at all, then one that is expired'. 

Quoting acaisha:

the plastic and straps break down and they are no longer safe to use.. the thing is .. if its expired now.. how long is she going to use it? For $50 she could have bought the good one.. sorry.. no not better then nothing.. totally unsafe.

Quoting GomezMami2908:

Better than nothing...no?

And what exactly makes a carseat expire? Truly curious here.

ForeverInLove
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Wow... I'd have taken the seat... and thend estroyed it. It makes for a wonderful anger management technique, lol. My husband takes the circular saw to them, then takes his machete, and a hammer... bwahahahaha

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Some people can't afford 50 bucks. It's not up to you to be their judge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

If people cannot afford a seat, all they need to do is open their mouths and ask around. There are many places that can help in getting a seat. Child Advocacy here, locally, gets so many car seats allotted to them every little while that they can hand out. 

Car seat Safety Events often have a limited amount of seats to hand out for those who bring in seats that are expired, purchased used (you don't know it's history), or have been in an accident and are still being used.

There really isn't an excuse for not having a non-expired seat. There are options. I would be willing to bet that most of the people who will say, "At least my kid has a seat!", probably have a lot of 'extras' at home. Swings, bouncers, jumpers, walkers, exercausers... all that is extra. How much is their cell bill? I dropped my cell down to just the regular old phone so I could afford to buy diapers (we use cloth) for our upcoming son, as well as a seat that is retailing at $180. I even knocked our tv package down so that I could save $15 there. The Cosco Scenera is a $50 seat.... while it's not what we are getting, it's a good seat to use for those who are monetarily compromised. They can give up something for af ew months in order to afford what is best for their child. An expired seat can lead to the child's death just as much as no seat. 

Quoting HouseMa:

So, it's far safer to have a kid in NO carseat then one that is expired...give me a frigging break. 

I'm sure that if people are pulled over for not having a carseat the police officer will totally say 'oh, yes, it's much safer to have that baby in no carseat at all, then one that is expired'. 

Quoting acaisha:

the plastic and straps break down and they are no longer safe to use.. the thing is .. if its expired now.. how long is she going to use it? For $50 she could have bought the good one.. sorry.. no not better then nothing.. totally unsafe.

Quoting GomezMami2908:

Better than nothing...no?

And what exactly makes a carseat expire? Truly curious here.

ejbljb
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Mine just came yesterday. It was really late this month. 

Quoting TSNDDY:

Ok I had really been depending on that money this week to pay some bills and I've been getting worried

jnttd
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM
It doesn't matter how little it's been used. Plastic and fabric wear over time. If you get in an accident the car seat can break.

Just because I never opened the box of strawberries in my fridge doesn't mean they can't expire.

Quoting mom2cheesebug:

IDK, im going to use the same carseats i used for my first child with this one. Its been a few years, it may be expired, but she barely used them, and i stuck them right back in the box. We live in the country and don't go out to much, most of our fun is at home. I dont' see the point in throwing away two brand new newborn car seats just because they sat in a box for a few years. Bash if you must, but if they were safe for the first one yet rarly used and stuck in a box, why arnt they safe for this one? No wear and tear or anything, and they have been checked out and i was told they were fine, but expired.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HouseMa
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

That's good for you....and you're awesome for doing that.

But, as far as I'm concerned, if people want others to keep their children safe, carseats should cost no more than 100 dollars.  There is NO NEED to have a seat retailing at 180 dollars.  That is a money grab. 

I'd be willing to bet, to make the average car seat would cost less than 80 dollars.  But, because they can, they drive the costs up for no other reason. 

You do what you can...you chose to do it your way.  I refuse to condemn someone for doing it the way they can.  I also would refuse to post this and have a ton of strangers nit picking another strangers post. 

Quoting ForeverInLove:

If people cannot afford a seat, all they need to do is open their mouths and ask around. There are many places that can help in getting a seat. Child Advocacy here, locally, gets so many car seats allotted to them every little while that they can hand out. 

Car seat Safety Events often have a limited amount of seats to hand out for those who bring in seats that are expired, purchased used (you don't know it's history), or have been in an accident and are still being used.

There really isn't an excuse for not having a non-expired seat. There are options. I would be willing to bet that most of the people who will say, "At least my kid has a seat!", probably have a lot of 'extras' at home. Swings, bouncers, jumpers, walkers, exercausers... all that is extra. How much is their cell bill? I dropped my cell down to just the regular old phone so I could afford to buy diapers (we use cloth) for our upcoming son, as well as a seat that is retailing at $180. I even knocked our tv package down so that I could save $15 there. The Cosco Scenera is a $50 seat.... while it's not what we are getting, it's a good seat to use for those who are monetarily compromised. They can give up something for af ew months in order to afford what is best for their child. An expired seat can lead to the child's death just as much as no seat. 

bchic24
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Well first off I would never use an expired carseat and second I got that carseat on the right as a backup at walmart for 40 brand new lol

Sylv.the.Wine-O
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Some people cannot be helped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)