Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A condolence letter...when still alive

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM
  • 6 Replies
I recieved a letter from the nursing home my father was in giving me their condolences of his death. He is very much alive and living in their assistant living program. My heart stopped when I opened that letter and read that. I had to keep my composure because my 7yo ds was standing right next to me. Then in the next sentence they say they are trying to collect a debt of 2,000. First off I am not his power of attorney, executor of estate nothing but his next of kin to contact. I have tried calling the lady who sent me the letter all day today and she wont take my calls. I am so pissed. I showed the letter to my dad today and he is extremely pissed off too. We joked all day for how good he looks for a dead guy. How does a business like that make such a huge mistake?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this
That is a HUGE mistake. Screw her, I would go above her. They obviously are paying way more attention to their bottom line than their patient care. I wouldn't be leaving my dad in their care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:31 AM

holy shit that is a fuck up!

mommy_froggie
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:44 AM
Yeah that is a HUGE mistake. He isnt in that facility anymore but is with one associated with them but the billing is not done bby the same person. I was a total wreck when I opened that. I am trying one last time to contact her tomorrow and if she rejects my call again I am going to the higher ups. The people where he is staying now had no trouble getting into contact with her when I first got the letter, she told them she would get a revised letter out to me and an apology letter out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:46 AM
I would be pissed and talking to her boss ...that is just fucked up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Oh man, was it sent in error or as a tactic to get money to pay his bill?

I used to work for an annuity insurance firm and of course we had a death claims department. We would be notified of someone's death and we would send out condolence letters to the beneficiary. I know at least once or twice (this was after I switched departments) someone's death would be erroneously reported and you'd have the client calling in to inform us that they were very much alive. But mistakes do happen.

Now if they sent it just to illicit payment, that was beyond shitty.

mommy_froggie
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:51 AM
Im thinking it was to collect payment. They tried to tell me when he was still there that it needed to be paid. I told the lady he only gets a grand a month so what is he suppose to do pull it out his ass? She kept insisting it be paid. Finally i had to get rude with her and about 3 weeks later is when he got moved to a different place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)