Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

grocery store meltdown

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM
  • 68 Replies

I absolutely despise grocery shopping with my kids, but with the new work schedule I just can't seem to find a way around it. How do you deal with the "extras" that miraculously show up in the cart, the multiple begging episodes and inevitable mid-store meltdowns? 

I felt horrible today but I basically ended up forcing my 5 year old into the little seat in the front of the cart (screaming his head off mind you) because he kept grabbing every junk food item (we do't buy that stuff) and putting it in the cart and then having a hissy fit when I took it out.    He cried for the rest of the shopping trip and everyone in the store was totally glaring at me.  I HATE this!

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColeAreeaJet
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM

BUMP!

ColeAreeaJet
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

No one else has kids who act up at the grocery store?

PEEK05
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Here's a bump.

The_Doodle
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Here's a bump. Don't have anything for ya. I've been taking DD grocery shopping with me since a few months old so she's pretty chill in stores.

MamaJess9
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Here's a bump for support. I'm lucky enough to be able to grocery shop while my kids are at school, but I wouldn't be surprised if mine acted the same way given the chance. I just despise grocery shopping in general.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UnIdentiFiedOne
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I had my first experience with this the other day. Thankfully we were already at checkout. I just told him (he's four) very plainly that his behavior was unacceptable and he would be doing four minutes in the corner when we got home. He kept crying, but he was disciplined for it. Really, that's all I can do. Discipline him for it and hope he behaves the next time.

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM
My son has been great lately. Knock on wood.... Never should have made this reply, it's going to bite me in the ass

Quoting ColeAreeaJet:

No one else has kids who act up at the grocery store?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmomma232010
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

my son has only acted up once so far at the store, and it was over a banana.while we were waiting on SO to buy a banana, he screamed so loud the manger of the store tried to give him a sucker and ds threw the sucker back at him. thankfully the mangers all know me and know that he is a chill lil guy

kendra251
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I wish I knew.... my kids are great every where BUT the grocery store. I get compliments on their behavior all the time. I can take my four plus two or three extra to the eye doctor, or dentist, or pediatricians office, the park ETC. you name it I can do it. But once we go into the grocery store its all over.... I can literally come out of there in tears.  Im open to ideas and tips as well.

miss_lisa
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM
DD is 7 and has never gotten like that. Sorry, but hopefully someone else can help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN