Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you eat here will you continue to do so? We don't have one near but but I always hear people rave about how amazing it is.....for those confused, I did not write this! I wish I was half as cool as food babe ; ) check out her blog.....

http://foodbabe.com/2011/07/09/chick-fil-a-or-chemical-fil-a/

This week I posted a picture of the ingredients in a Chick-Fil-A sandwich on my personal and Food Babe Facebook Page– I was curious to see the reaction from my family, friends and Food Babe readers. I found that some people were shocked and some people downright didn’t care and even celebrated the deliciousness in Chick-Fil-A’s signature sandwich. You see – The number (close to 100) and type of ingredients are typical for fast food and for many chain restaurants. If you eat out and eat at these type of places, you are feeling the effects of these ingredients, whether you realize it or not.

Ever wonder why you have to dose yourself with caffeine after lunch to stay awake?

Or have uncontrollable cravings?

Or why no matter how hard you work in the gym, you still carry around 10 extra pounds?

Or experience depressed moods?

Or have joint pain? Or headaches?

Or can’t clear up your skin?

Or have asthma and/or allergies?

There are close to 100 ingredients in a typical Chick-Fil-A sandwhich, majority of them with serious health consequences

I’ve already talked about some of the ingredients found in a Chick-Fil-A sandwich – food coloring, refined grains, MSG, GMO Corn in past posts. I want to talk about some of the other preservatives here today. I honestly can’t believe that there are 18 (if I counted right and didn’t miss one) added chemical preservatives to this sandwich. The FDA allows food companies to add these preservatives in limited quantities, however, they do not prohibit companies from adding different preservatives all together by letting them combine different food items that make one big whopping dose.

For example, let’s take TBHQ which stands for “Tertiary Butylhydroquinone” – an ingredient that is listed twice, once in the chicken and once in the bun. TBHQ is a chemical made from butane (a very toxic gas) and can only be used at a rate of 0.02 percent of the total oil in a product. Why is there a limit to this? Maybe because eating only 1 gram of this toxic preservative has been shown to cause all sorts of issues, from ADHD in children, to asthma, allergies and dermatitis to dizziness and even has caused stomach cancer in laboratory animals. Limiting TBHQ to a certain percentage, is the same logic the FDA made when allowing a product to still contain 0.5 grams of transfat and be labeled “transfat free.” If you are consuming processed foods, eating at fast food restaurants or chains that use processed foods you are consuming an overload of preservatives and other chemicals. The high dosage is a huge factor contributing to increased auto immune disorders, rising health care and cancer in America.

I don’t eat out very often, it’s been about 11 days since I ate out. The reason for this is because when you make your own food, you see what goes in it, making me enjoy it ten times more. I want to feel the best I possibly can in life, with abundant energy and radiating vibrancy. I don’t want to feel sick, always with some aliment or some health issue to complain about. God forbid, if I ever got sick, I want to know I did everything I could to prevent it. When I grow old, I don’t want to burden my family to take care of me because I didn’t care of myself.

I didn’t write this post because I was angry or mad at the people that celebrated eating Chick-Fil-A after seeing how many ingredients there are. It’s the opposite. It saddens me that people choose to continue to harm themselves and their families by ingesting these chemicals after acquiring this knowledge. IMO, they are walking around half dead. I am, however, hopeful that my blog and leading by example, will turn the lights on in someone new and they won’t ever look at a Chick-Fil-A sandwich ever again.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mom2ArLn
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM

It will never change, because no one cares, as you can see here, sadly.

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM
You don't go to fast food for quality nor because you're health conscious.

I won't go because they are very anti gay rights. Quite outspoken about it, if I do recall.
ShellGardner
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Oh and I have been only cooking everything I eat lately I feel so much better I'm wondering if it's kinda a detox minus my 2 diet sodas a day. I can't do with the caffiene headache kills me. I tried no soda the first day and I had to give in at like 9 pm I couldn't sleep the headache was so bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM
29.80 grams of protein, 197 calories and 7.78 grams of fat, Potassium - 245 mg
Phosphorus - 214 mg
Calcium - 14 mg
Magnesium- 27 mg
Iron - 1.07 mg
Sodium - 71 mg
Manganese - 0.018 mg
Zinc - 1.02 mg
Copper - 0.05 mg
Selenium - 24.7 mcg
Also contains trace amounts of other minerals.
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.066 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.119 mg
Niacin - 12.71 mg
Pantothenic Acid - 0.936 mg
Vitamin B6 - 0.56 mg
Folate - 4 mcg
Vitamin B12 - 0.32 mcg
Vitamin A - 93 IU
Vitamin E - 0.27 mg
Vitamin K - 0.3 mcg
Vitamin D - 5 IU
Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.

..........these are the proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals in just a chicken breast cooked at home with the skin on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bekalynne440
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM
This sounds like a specific bash against Chic fil A. You say you don't even have one around you and that this is common with all fast food. Then why pick Chic Fil A? You also don't seem overly informed on how to read ingredients and what some of them really are.

Personally I love the restaurant. It's more than just the good food. It's the good values and great way they treat their customers. It's the only fast food restaurant I've ever been to where they actually come to your table to make sure all is well. They are so friendly. I could never say that about McDonald's!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boysrablessing
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM
We dont ever really eat out and not Bc of all the chemicals and what not (bc if I could figure out how to make chicken taste like their i would) but bc both my ex husband and dhs families all have weight problems and I dont want my children to be a statistic for childhood obesity so I make then eat healthier and exercise regularly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Yes I will continue to eat chick fil a.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM
I will still eat there :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM

What does it matter if it's listing ingredients of ingredients? lol It's still a lot of ingredients.

And, regardless if the majority are vitamins, the ones that aren't, come with horrible side effects. I don't care if people want to shove their faces with crap, but containing a few vitamins doesn't negate the fact that it contains chemicals. Chemicals that have been proven to be horrible for you.

Quoting jadedcynic:

They are listing the ingredients of ingredients. That is why  a lot of it is in brackets. The majority of the chemicals listed are vitamins, which are healthy for you.

Quoting ciao_bella:

Actually no what shocked me the most was the amount of ingredients for a piece of chicken & bread. Pretty sickening!!! I don't care if there is 1 chemical or 1000 chemicals, we will not eat it. Also I try and keep our store bought foods to a 5 ingredient max so this is way past that lol We don't eat fast food but I know a lot of people do & wanted to share!

Quoting jadedcynic:

Most of the "chemicals"  listed are actually vitamins. But of course you didn't bother to research what they were, you just went "OMG, chemicals!"

Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Is there really any doubt that fast food is bad for you? Personally it seems like you're on some sort of tirade against chick fil a. I don't think I have ever met anyone who thinks fast food isn't bad for them.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

What does it matter if it's listing ingredients of ingredients? lol It's still a lot of ingredients.

And, regardless if the majority are vitamins, the ones that aren't, come with horrible side effects. I don't care if people want to shove their faces with crap, but containing a few vitamins doesn't negate the fact that it contains chemicals. Chemicals that have been proven to be horrible for you.

Quoting jadedcynic:

They are listing the ingredients of ingredients. That is why  a lot of it is in brackets. The majority of the chemicals listed are vitamins, which are healthy for you.

Quoting ciao_bella:

Actually no what shocked me the most was the amount of ingredients for a piece of chicken & bread. Pretty sickening!!! I don't care if there is 1 chemical or 1000 chemicals, we will not eat it. Also I try and keep our store bought foods to a 5 ingredient max so this is way past that lol We don't eat fast food but I know a lot of people do & wanted to share!

Quoting jadedcynic:

Most of the "chemicals"  listed are actually vitamins. But of course you didn't bother to research what they were, you just went "OMG, chemicals!"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN