Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Aquarium States that the Disabled are Disappointing and Unacceptable for Public

Posted by   + Show Post
http://rt.com/news/autistic-children-denied-oceanarium-visit-241/

Sorry if this is a repost. Can't make clicky while mobile.

Apparently I can't copy and paste from this website. Basically the article tells of an aquarium in Moscow that denied a class of autistic children a group visit. The staff said that "disabled" people upset the public and aren't appropriate for their establishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
waffa
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I actually hear the accent as I read this LOL!!!!!!!!

big smile mini

Quoting Irenesmommy:

in soviet russia, museum doesn't visit you

meganmunch91
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:29 AM
I only have one severely autistic client on my case load and he is probably one of my favorites (even though I'm really not supposed to have favorites lol) he is always stopping to touch everything and has a constant commentary about everything lol I love him and so does everyone else he meets! If he was ever denied entrance I'd probably pitch a fit! But I guess they just have a different view on things over there... Definitely doesn't make it right, though!

Yeah, they love being able to go clean and talk to all the teachers and kids! I'm a job coach, so I take a crew of 6 clients to schools and help them develop good job skills and behaviors. When they are ready for a job in the community, I take them out and we spend the whole day filling out job applications. Until then, they're happy making the money they earn from cleaning schools :) I LOVE my job!!

Quoting jnttd:

We're having my DD evaluated for autism and we can't go anywhere without her stopping every minute to stim on something or scream about something else. But I try to keep her quiet or I take her to a quiet place to calm down. If anyone ever denied us entrance somewhere I'm not sure if I would start bawling or demand to talk to everyone's boss and their boss's boss.

I'm glad you can keep the adults busy with something like that! I'm sure it helps them feel productive.
Quoting meganmunch91:

I agree. I can understand that it might affect other people if the children had a meltdown, but most people are pretty compassionate about things like that. I work with adults with disabilities and we clean elementary schools in town and they have had occasional meltdowns. I've only had two incidents of children actually noticing or caring that my clients were having difficulties. It makes me so sad for them :(

Quoting jnttd:

I feel so badly for them. I know some of the kids might have had a hard time (problems with routine change, melt downs...) but all in all it would have been fun for them.

Quoting meganmunch91:

That's terrible :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the.lilangel
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Unfortunately in their country people view those with "disabilities", pretty much anyone who is different, to be less then human. They are not worthy of things like that. Animals get better treatment. Very sad.

jnttd
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:37 AM
We tried to take DD to the mall today and it took us 10 minutes to walk about 50 feet. There was a piece of tape on the ground, a shirt was crooked on display, there we sticker tags on pants... She had to touch or correct each thing before moving on.

I'm glad you have an awesome job!
Quoting meganmunch91:

I only have one severely autistic client on my case load and he is probably one of my favorites (even though I'm really not supposed to have favorites lol) he is always stopping to touch everything and has a constant commentary about everything lol I love him and so does everyone else he meets! If he was ever denied entrance I'd probably pitch a fit! But I guess they just have a different view on things over there... Definitely doesn't make it right, though!

Yeah, they love being able to go clean and talk to all the teachers and kids! I'm a job coach, so I take a crew of 6 clients to schools and help them develop good job skills and behaviors. When they are ready for a job in the community, I take them out and we spend the whole day filling out job applications. Until then, they're happy making the money they earn from cleaning schools :) I LOVE my job!!

Quoting jnttd:

We're having my DD evaluated for autism and we can't go anywhere without her stopping every minute to stim on something or scream about something else. But I try to keep her quiet or I take her to a quiet place to calm down. If anyone ever denied us entrance somewhere I'm not sure if I would start bawling or demand to talk to everyone's boss and their boss's boss.

I'm glad you can keep the adults busy with something like that! I'm sure it helps them feel productive.
Quoting meganmunch91:

I agree. I can understand that it might affect other people if the children had a meltdown, but most people are pretty compassionate about things like that. I work with adults with disabilities and we clean elementary schools in town and they have had occasional meltdowns. I've only had two incidents of children actually noticing or caring that my clients were having difficulties. It makes me so sad for them :(

Quoting jnttd:

I feel so badly for them. I know some of the kids might have had a hard time (problems with routine change, melt downs...) but all in all it would have been fun for them.

Quoting meganmunch91:

That's terrible :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Nichole on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Well it is in Russia.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I'm surprised Russia recognises autism as a disability.

Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:07 AM

The saddest thing is that I'm finding more and more of that type of thought here in the United States. My daughter doesn't "look different" so when she has meltdowns or is stimming we get all sorts of snide, under the breath comments. The worst was waiting for her medication at the pharmacy... She was having a meltdown because I had both her and my 4 year old in the cart to keep them contained. My 9 year old wasn't in the cart and in her mind that wasn't fair. (He's bigger than both of my daughters put together). Anyways, she's laying in the cart kicking the side, crying and saying "no" over and over again. I'm doing my best to try to talk her through it and some guy behind us starts going OFF about crappy parents and how kids now days have no respect. I don't know WHO he's talking to, but it's not me. Then he says "Seriously, that brat needs a spanking. A good swat never hurts anyone and stops that kind of crap."

I flipped out.  I turn around and yelled at him. I  told him he doesn't know the situation, that my daughter has special needs and he should be more compassionate. I called him an idiot and asked him if he thought spankings were some magical cure-all that stopped ALL crappy behavior. Then I asked him if it would be more convenient for him if I had her institutionalized so that she couldn't disrupt his shopping experience. At which point I turned back around and burst into tears. It sucked, for both myself and my daughter.

After we left she asked me "mommy, why did that man call me a brat and want you to hit me?" 

RedRozeMom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:44 AM
It's Russia...that's how they work over there...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmarie2101
by The Assassin on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:44 AM

yep. lol

when we were kids, my friend monica and i would say "beat down, russian style." actually we still say that. lol

i think it stemmed from an episode of worlds wildest, where they showed cops beating the shit out of some guy. the announcer said something like "the man was taken down--russian style." theyre brutal. the cops are as bad as the criminals.

Quoting Miss_MikLain:

Haha! Russia is notorious for its treatment of everyone!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

It's Russia.....they're notorious for their abuse of the handicapped!

dmarie2101
by The Assassin on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:47 AM

thats not the same thing as what the op is about. the staff knew the kids were autistic, the man behind you didnt.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

The saddest thing is that I'm finding more and more of that type of thought here in the United States. My daughter doesn't "look different" so when she has meltdowns or is stimming we get all sorts of snide, under the breath comments. The worst was waiting for her medication at the pharmacy... She was having a meltdown because I had both her and my 4 year old in the cart to keep them contained. My 9 year old wasn't in the cart and in her mind that wasn't fair. (He's bigger than both of my daughters put together). Anyways, she's laying in the cart kicking the side, crying and saying "no" over and over again. I'm doing my best to try to talk her through it and some guy behind us starts going OFF about crappy parents and how kids now days have no respect. I don't know WHO he's talking to, but it's not me. Then he says "Seriously, that brat needs a spanking. A good swat never hurts anyone and stops that kind of crap."

I flipped out.  I turn around and yelled at him. I  told him he doesn't know the situation, that my daughter has special needs and he should be more compassionate. I called him an idiot and asked him if he thought spankings were some magical cure-all that stopped ALL crappy behavior. Then I asked him if it would be more convenient for him if I had her institutionalized so that she couldn't disrupt his shopping experience. At which point I turned back around and burst into tears. It sucked, for both myself and my daughter.

After we left she asked me "mommy, why did that man call me a brat and want you to hit me?" 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)