Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Aquarium States that the Disabled are Disappointing and Unacceptable for Public

Posted by   + Show Post
http://rt.com/news/autistic-children-denied-oceanarium-visit-241/

Sorry if this is a repost. Can't make clicky while mobile.

Apparently I can't copy and paste from this website. Basically the article tells of an aquarium in Moscow that denied a class of autistic children a group visit. The staff said that "disabled" people upset the public and aren't appropriate for their establishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Replies (21-29):
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:50 AM
Dammit you beat me to it. XD

Quoting Irenesmommy:

in soviet russia, museum doesn't visit you

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raven1114
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:34 AM

If a child who is autistic is going on a field trip the teachers and therapist work with them way in advance on what to expect. They would for example, study about the marine life, show pictures of the various animals. Maybe even talk about an show pictures of the place they are going to. There are always aids on hand on the off chance that a child can't handle something and they gently remove the child. It's not like they'd just leave the kid screaming in the middle of floor for all to see.

Also despite what people think unless they are on the very extreme part of the spectrum most autistic kids can handle slight changes in routine. Also the type of atmosphere would of most likely kept them calm. think quite ocean life, calming water, soft lighting. Those things are calming in nature so less likely that  a down would happen.

Quoting jnttd:

I feel so badly for them. I know some of the kids might have had a hard time (problems with routine change, melt downs...) but all in all it would have been fun for them.

Quoting meganmunch91:

That's terrible :(

Livinwith3boys
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM

I would say, this is exactly why we should all be happy that we live in the US!! (those of us that do) Living overseas had made me see how great we have it at home!!!

Coca.Cola
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:08 AM

Really? I have Aspergers and I am always considered handicapped. I am used to it I guess. I can not work, can not drive, and tend to be accompanied to most things outside of anything local. 

Quoting jnttd:

I'm a little surprised that autistic children are considered handicapped. I don't know how severe any of their cases are, but either way...

Quoting Dzyre1115:

It's Russia.....they're notorious for their abuse of the handicapped!

CABZS
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:59 AM
It is Russia, I highly doubt that. Sad but they don't always treat the "not normal" with much respect.

Quoting TSNDDY:

Wow somebody's going to be getting fired

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Why? They are different and therefore viewed as a handicap.

Not sure about now but years ago being left handed was a handicap in Russia.

A teacher I know had horrid hand writing. They forced her to use her right hand and hit her left repeatedly if she tried to use it. You could see her hand had been broken many times:(

Quoting grey7399:

I'm surprised Russia recognises autism as a disability.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolvesfire
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:20 AM
This treatment doesn't surprise me coming from a country that offers mail order brides and has had issues with putting down bloody revolt after bloody revolt in their entire existence of history. That's sad but not many of these foreign powers that are 'supposed' to be our allies take human rights the way we do in USA.
irishstarz
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:26 AM
Wow. Way to discriminate! Ugh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miss_MikLain
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:02 PM
My view came from a documentary I saw on Russian orphanages. It was so sad and disgusting. Kids rocking back and forth in corners sitting in their own pee and feces. It was disgusting and horrible.

Quoting dmarie2101:

yep. lol

when we were kids, my friend monica and i would say "beat down, russian style." actually we still say that. lol

i think it stemmed from an episode of worlds wildest, where they showed cops beating the shit out of some guy. the announcer said something like "the man was taken down--russian style." theyre brutal. the cops are as bad as the criminals.

Quoting Miss_MikLain:

Haha! Russia is notorious for its treatment of everyone!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

It's Russia.....they're notorious for their abuse of the handicapped!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN