Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need advise regarding my 4 month old Please EDIT EDIT #2 Edit #3 Edit #4

So when Baby Chris was born he was diagnosed with Tracheomalacia Which means the cartilage in the windpipe (trachea) has not developed properly. Instead of being rigid, the walls of the trachea are floppy and collapse. He does not have it serious. So far it has not effected his breathing at all. 

April 6th, one day before he turned 4 months he got his first ear infection in his right ear. That cleared up in a week. 

April 13th  he was diagnosed with an ear infection in his left ear. That cleared up after a week. 

April 26 he went to the er. Highly irritable, excessive spit up, diarrhea. The er doc said he has an ear infection in his right ear. Gave him meds told me to bring chris to see the doc the next day. 

April 27th in the morning i noticed a rash on his chest, stomach and under his left arm and a few spots on his foot. I called the pedi and got him in that afternoon. 

The pedi(one of the 2 my children see) said he does NOT have an ear infection. Stop the meds. ok kool. 

He did say he was a little congested. Then he saw the rash. AND a sore in his mouth, which was open. -_-

He told me Chris has Hand Foot Mouth Disease. (my heart is pounding now)

He also say the start of a diaper rash and gave me a perscription for a yeast rash cream that works on my kids.(A&d never worked or anything over the counter)

So onto today

In a 48 hour period he has gone through 2 packs(48 count) of diapers. His butt is so red it is not funny. I have put him in a baking soda bath. I have used the diaper rash cream. He poops more times then i can count in a day and night. His poop is water. As soon as he poops he is screaming in pain. He has hardly napped today. Went to sleep finally at 11pm. He goes to bed at 7pm. I have  switched  from the diaper rash cream to vaseline 

I dont know what to do for him. All i can do is hold him as he cries. I tried Tylenol and thats a temp fix. I feel so helpless

Does ANYONE have any ideas on what to do to ease his pain

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO THE WOMEN WHO HAVE RESPONDED. I AM FEELING A BIT BETTER NOW. STILL CRYING BUT NOT AS BAD. YOU HAVE ALL GIVEN ME IDEAS I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. I AM GOING TO LAY DOWN AND TRY AND GET A LITTLE SLEEP BEFORE THE BABY WAKES UP AND THE SCREAMING AND CRYING STARTS AGAIN. 

EDIT #2

So i took the baby to the er. we just got back a little bit ago. The doc confirmed it is Hand Foot Mouth and it does spread to the butt and genital areas. So far he is not running a fever.  He is still pooping like every 15-20 minutes. But the er doc gave me a spray to use that seems to be soothing him a little bit. She saw a few cases of this since last night. The last one she saw today was worse then my sons but it started out just like his. The others she saw were a little bit worse but not by much. I can give him tylenol up to 5 times a day. I plan on taking him in the shower everytime he poops to avoid rubbing his butt with anything. 

I want to thank 3greatkids751 who took the time to email me with ideas and her concerns with what she went through with her child. Also ty to everyone else who has given me great advise

Edit #3

I want to thank everyone for the great advise. The diaper rash is almost completely healed. Everytime he pooped i took him into the shower and sprayed him off.  lol. No crying no tears. I am using Desitin but its the old formula which has more zinc oxide in it. I am using the baby powder and still no wipes. He is going in to see the doc this afternoon

EDIT #4 

So baby Chris saw one of his pedis today. we just got back home. The rash keeps coming and going. Still no fever. Pedi told me to expect the diahrea to last another week maybe 2 weeks.  So far he has a mild case of Hand foot and mouth and hopefully it stays that way. 

Thank you to all the ladies who have been very helpful with their ideas and suggestions. 

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
mommysangelface
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM

i think i still have that bottle!  i didnt even think of something like that. thank you!!!!!!!!

Quoting ambersmommy730:

My 2 year old gets rashes like that pretty often. When he does, I use one of those bottles that the hospital gives you after you have a baby to squirt him clean with. I don't use wipes on him during that time either. I don't know what to do for the pain either. My son is very cranky when his bottom is red like that too. I hope he feels better soon!

KittenKrump
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I completely understand. 

Quoting mommysangelface:

i did that for a little bit.  i just cant stand him being in so much pain

Quoting KittenKrump:

When I worked in Head start, we had a bit of an epidemic of HFM. I think six of our sixteen kids had it. I don't really have any advice, but you could try keeping his diaper off, get some air to his bottom. I know it'll be messy, but if you can lay him back on a washable pad with a diaper under him and let him get some air.

ciao_bella
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:05 AM
I wouldn't stress about food but i'd force fluids

Any idea how he got hand mouth foot? I know it's very contagious in daycares...

Quoting mommysangelface:

no daycare.  dh is a stay at home dad. hes taking his bottle but not like normal. he wont eat his baby food right now. 

we did stop using wipes

Quoting ciao_bella:

Omg your poor baby!! :/ is he in daycare that he's getting sick? Or just older brothers/sisters?

Make sure he's hydrated.

After each diaper change id put him right in the tub and if you can chance a mess I'd keep him bare

When putting a diaper on make sure he's completely dry.... I'd put ointment on ( you should try coconut oil) and then top w corn starch and then put it on.

Do not use wipes for a few days ( just warm wet wash cloths)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommysangelface
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:05 AM

i cant take him to the pedi until monday :(

i thought about the er but the nurse told me on the phone there isnt much they will do for him :(

Quoting kris_81:

Poor baby, can you take him back to his pedi in the morning or er?

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:06 AM

keep using the vaseline, it keeps moisture(urine and poop) out of the wounds.. mix with corn starch.. and diaper rash cream though.. this will help heal, and the vaseline will keep moisture out.

MAKE SURE THE AREA IS DRY BEFORE APPLY THIS...

The rest, I have no clue, I'd probably be back at the ER with fears of dehydration because of the diarrhea...

ambersmommy730
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:06 AM

You're welcome. :)  I use room temp water in it for my son.

Quoting mommysangelface:

i think i still have that bottle!  i didnt even think of something like that. thank you!!!!!!!!

Quoting ambersmommy730:

My 2 year old gets rashes like that pretty often. When he does, I use one of those bottles that the hospital gives you after you have a baby to squirt him clean with. I don't use wipes on him during that time either. I don't know what to do for the pain either. My son is very cranky when his bottom is red like that too. I hope he feels better soon!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
mommysangelface
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:07 AM

yea the nystatin usually works for him. but it doesnt seem like it is now. we use parents choice diapers. have never had any issues with them.  im wondering if the one med he was on did something to him

Quoting Makynzies_Mommy:

Alternate tylenol and ibuprofen, try not to let them wear off, give a cool/warm bath and pat dry, let him go without a diaper as much as possible (lay him on towels or.a blanket on the floor..when my.dd. had a rash like that, the dr gave her nystatin it cleared it up quickly. Also, my dd was allergic to something in pampers and had a "chemical burn" and the nystatin cleared it up. Sorry you are going through this mama! Sending prayers for a quick recovery. Hugs!

Miss_MikLain
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:07 AM
I'm so sorry mama! This has got to be killing you. It's killing me to read. My only suggestion is either the ER or his pedi asap! But here's a bump and a prayer for you and your lil man! I hope he's back to normal soon! <3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommysangelface
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:08 AM

im starting to cry right now thinking about the pain he is in

Quoting KittenKrump:

I completely understand. 

Quoting mommysangelface:

i did that for a little bit.  i just cant stand him being in so much pain

Quoting KittenKrump:

When I worked in Head start, we had a bit of an epidemic of HFM. I think six of our sixteen kids had it. I don't really have any advice, but you could try keeping his diaper off, get some air to his bottom. I know it'll be messy, but if you can lay him back on a washable pad with a diaper under him and let him get some air.

Mel0dy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:08 AM

youtube has a video called (baby got colic) its white noise works wonders for DD when shes sick or pissed off lol. hope your little guy feels better soon. Ps dont watch the video lol it#s really freaky haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)