Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need advise regarding my 4 month old Please EDIT EDIT #2 Edit #3 Edit #4

So when Baby Chris was born he was diagnosed with Tracheomalacia Which means the cartilage in the windpipe (trachea) has not developed properly. Instead of being rigid, the walls of the trachea are floppy and collapse. He does not have it serious. So far it has not effected his breathing at all. 

April 6th, one day before he turned 4 months he got his first ear infection in his right ear. That cleared up in a week. 

April 13th  he was diagnosed with an ear infection in his left ear. That cleared up after a week. 

April 26 he went to the er. Highly irritable, excessive spit up, diarrhea. The er doc said he has an ear infection in his right ear. Gave him meds told me to bring chris to see the doc the next day. 

April 27th in the morning i noticed a rash on his chest, stomach and under his left arm and a few spots on his foot. I called the pedi and got him in that afternoon. 

The pedi(one of the 2 my children see) said he does NOT have an ear infection. Stop the meds. ok kool. 

He did say he was a little congested. Then he saw the rash. AND a sore in his mouth, which was open. -_-

He told me Chris has Hand Foot Mouth Disease. (my heart is pounding now)

He also say the start of a diaper rash and gave me a perscription for a yeast rash cream that works on my kids.(A&d never worked or anything over the counter)

So onto today

In a 48 hour period he has gone through 2 packs(48 count) of diapers. His butt is so red it is not funny. I have put him in a baking soda bath. I have used the diaper rash cream. He poops more times then i can count in a day and night. His poop is water. As soon as he poops he is screaming in pain. He has hardly napped today. Went to sleep finally at 11pm. He goes to bed at 7pm. I have  switched  from the diaper rash cream to vaseline 

I dont know what to do for him. All i can do is hold him as he cries. I tried Tylenol and thats a temp fix. I feel so helpless

Does ANYONE have any ideas on what to do to ease his pain

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO THE WOMEN WHO HAVE RESPONDED. I AM FEELING A BIT BETTER NOW. STILL CRYING BUT NOT AS BAD. YOU HAVE ALL GIVEN ME IDEAS I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. I AM GOING TO LAY DOWN AND TRY AND GET A LITTLE SLEEP BEFORE THE BABY WAKES UP AND THE SCREAMING AND CRYING STARTS AGAIN. 

EDIT #2

So i took the baby to the er. we just got back a little bit ago. The doc confirmed it is Hand Foot Mouth and it does spread to the butt and genital areas. So far he is not running a fever.  He is still pooping like every 15-20 minutes. But the er doc gave me a spray to use that seems to be soothing him a little bit. She saw a few cases of this since last night. The last one she saw today was worse then my sons but it started out just like his. The others she saw were a little bit worse but not by much. I can give him tylenol up to 5 times a day. I plan on taking him in the shower everytime he poops to avoid rubbing his butt with anything. 

I want to thank 3greatkids751 who took the time to email me with ideas and her concerns with what she went through with her child. Also ty to everyone else who has given me great advise

Edit #3

I want to thank everyone for the great advise. The diaper rash is almost completely healed. Everytime he pooped i took him into the shower and sprayed him off.  lol. No crying no tears. I am using Desitin but its the old formula which has more zinc oxide in it. I am using the baby powder and still no wipes. He is going in to see the doc this afternoon

EDIT #4 

So baby Chris saw one of his pedis today. we just got back home. The rash keeps coming and going. Still no fever. Pedi told me to expect the diahrea to last another week maybe 2 weeks.  So far he has a mild case of Hand foot and mouth and hopefully it stays that way. 

Thank you to all the ladies who have been very helpful with their ideas and suggestions. 

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Replies (61-70):
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Take him to the ER
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by faith on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I just googled and that is an antibiotic. Antibiotics will many time do what is happening with your little one,diarrhea. This happens because not only do the antibiotic kill the bad bacteria they also kill the good bacteria. If he was older I'd say give him a tiny bit of plain yogurt a few times each day...I think he probably would be ok with this even being as young as he is and I would probably do that if he was mine. Only about 1/2 teaspoon maybe 3 times a day for a couple days. The good bacteria cultures do make a difference in the fact of it being cow's milk....otherwise I am a firm believer to never give cow's milk before at least a year old. Whether or not you use a small amount of plain yogurt he does need some kind of probiotic to help get some good bacteria back in his digestive system. Once he does the diarrhea will get better.

Hugs Momma! You are doing a good job....

Quoting mommysangelface:

sulphmeth trimeth (sp)

Quoting cjsix:

You mentioned a medicine he was put on...what is it? Is it an antibiotic by chance?

mommysangelface
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM

ok

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

I'm going to get on my laptop. And give u info.

Quoting mommysangelface:

sulfmeth trimeth

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

My son has tracheomalacia to. Along with Bronchomalacia and laryngomalacia. My son also went through this very very same thing. Except it was not hfm disease. It was thrush from the antibiotic he was on. What antibiotic is he on? Please feel free to pm me if you want!!!

mommysangelface
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:37 AM

thank you so much momma. he was put on nutramigen formula due to allergy to cows milk in formula. 

Quoting cjsix:

I just googled and that is an antibiotic. Antibiotics will many time do what is happening with your little one,diarrhea. This happens because not only do the antibiotic kill the bad bacteria they also kill the good bacteria. If he was older I'd say give him a tiny bit of plain yogurt a few times each day...I think he probably would be ok with this even being as young as he is and I would probably do that if he was mine. Only about 1/2 teaspoon maybe 3 times a day for a couple days. The good bacteria cultures do make a difference in the fact of it being cow's milk....otherwise I am a firm believer to never give cow's milk before at least a year old. Whether or not you use a small amount of plain yogurt he does need some kind of probiotic to help get some good bacteria back in his digestive system. Once he does the diarrhea will get better.

Hugs Momma! You are doing a good job....

Quoting mommysangelface:

sulphmeth trimeth (sp)

Quoting cjsix:

You mentioned a medicine he was put on...what is it? Is it an antibiotic by chance?

jordynsmom08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM
This and aqua phor is awesome for a diaper rash. Sending my prayers that he feels better!

Quoting jessi2girls:

keep using the vaseline, it keeps moisture(urine and poop) out of the wounds.. mix with corn starch.. and diaper rash cream though.. this will help heal, and the vaseline will keep moisture out.

MAKE SURE THE AREA IS DRY BEFORE APPLY THIS...

The rest, I have no clue, I'd probably be back at the ER with fears of dehydration because of the diarrhea...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommysangelface
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:42 AM

thank you

Quoting jordynsmom08:

This and aqua phor is awesome for a diaper rash. Sending my prayers that he feels better!

Quoting jessi2girls:

keep using the vaseline, it keeps moisture(urine and poop) out of the wounds.. mix with corn starch.. and diaper rash cream though.. this will help heal, and the vaseline will keep moisture out.

MAKE SURE THE AREA IS DRY BEFORE APPLY THIS...

The rest, I have no clue, I'd probably be back at the ER with fears of dehydration because of the diarrhea...

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:42 AM
your pedi didn't give amoxicillian? this is a bacterial infection. creams won't help. research it, it's normal for babies to get it, but otc creams are not helping
Mommyof2n0308
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Okay Im on now. First I want you to know, I seriously went through the SAME EXACT thing to a T. Except unfortunatly my sons TBM was SEVERE.

He also sees infectious disease bc of all his ear infections. The first time he was ever put on antibiotics for an ear infection was at around 8-9 months.  They put him on zythromax and a day later I had him in the ER and was told it was HFM. He wouldnt eat for a 3 days. I took him back in, and our pedi said it was thrush. Antibiotics can kill the good bacteria and cause thrush.

Does he have a fever?

The antibiotic he is on is generally known as bactrum. It is most common used for ear infections as an ear drop. But also orally. How is it prescribed?  Also, antibiotics especially bactrum will cause diareah. If its HFM there is not much you can do but tylenol/motrin. But if you go to your local pharmacy  ask them if they have a probiotic that you can give him. It will get rid of whats in his mouth within 24 hours. Also yogurt, try to give him yogurt. It will be cool in his mouth plus it will help get rid of it. Also next time he has an ear infection, dont let them give you bactrum, mention you want something else. Bactrum is a pretty strong antibiotic which increases the chance of thrush.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Quoting mommysangelface:

sulfmeth trimeth

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

My son has tracheomalacia to. Along with Bronchomalacia and laryngomalacia. My son also went through this very very same thing. Except it was not hfm disease. It was thrush from the antibiotic he was on. What antibiotic is he on? Please feel free to pm me if you want!!!

Mommyof2n0308
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM

OHH Also!!!

Thrush will spread to the bottom... our pedi told me to use vagasil!!! no joke!

Thrush is in the yeast category, and it will help.

ahicks1108
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this
You can mix desitin (or any rash cream) w a little bit of mylanta. Yes, the stomach medicine. And put it on his bum. The mylanta will soothe the burn. I know it sounds crazy but my grandma told me about it years ago and it works wonders on relieving the burn. It will be a lil watery but its instant relief. I'm so sorry your little man is hurting so bad :/ oatmeal baths work wonders too and letting him air out will help too. Good luck and prayers your way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)