Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Pregnant Baby Sitter Dies in Car Crash - PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:34 AM
  • 2 Replies

DECATUR, Neb. -

Authorities said two separate car crashes leave a mother and son injured, and a family babysitter dead on Saturday.

Police said Decontrey Brown, 11, was hit by a westbound car after he ran into traffic just after 12 p.m.

After more than 30 minutes, officers said the child's mother was hurt and a babysitter was killed in a crash while en route to the hospital to see the boy.

Arleena Smith was in the back seat when she said their SUV flipped over and killed her cousin, Delaine Harris.

Police said the SUV ran a stop sign and was hit by another vehicle.

"We got hit from the side, and I got out safely. I turned around and all I can see is Delaine, trapped under the car," Smith said. "I didn't know what to do. I just cried."

Police said Harris was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Smith said they were rushing to the hospital to see Brown, who Harris was babysitting earlier Saturday, after the boy was hit by a car in a separate crash.

"There was a green car coming down the hill real fast. I thought (it) was going to stop. All I could see was, 'Boom,' and (Brown) lying there," Smith said.

Smith said Harris's two children are staying with relatives. She was three months pregnant.

Police said Harris was not wearing her seat belt.

This is in my area.  I'm hoping by sharing this story we can all realize it's safer to slow down and get there alive no matter the situation!  I feel so bad for the family, though.  I can't imagine how i'd feel if my son was hit by a car!  I'd probably be tempted to speed or run lights, too.  But I'd have to resist, b/c my son would need me alive and healthy!

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Livinwith3boys
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:50 AM

You don't know what you would do in that situation....as much as you can say what you would do now....this is a sad sad story....I pray that the boy recovers well!!

raven1114
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:01 AM

How terrible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)