Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help a mama out! **UPDATE**

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM
  • 110 Replies
So a little background info for anyone who isn't familiar with me. My name's Brittany, I'm 20 years old and have an 18 month old dd named DiAnna-Jo. I have had a really though time up until recently. I am trying to get on my own two feet so that I can give DJ the childhood I didn't have, and the future that she deserves. I do not believe that we are capable of having any sort of quality life here in Phoenix, AZ. For that reason I am hoping to move elsewhere at some point in the next few years.

So, with that said, please tell me about your city and/or state! Any attractions? (like theme parks, nat'l parks, etc) Weather? Economy? General info. & Would you recommend moving there or no? Thanks!

**UPDATE**
Thank you all so much for continuing to reply even though this post is days old!! So far, there are a few places I'm going to look into thanks to you all!
Tennessee
Nebraska
Minnesota
Arkansas
North Carolina
Colorado
Pennsylvania

Oklahoma & Texas are out simply because my abusive father and his while family are there and I don't want to be anywhere near any of them.
New York, California, and Washington are also out because all ya'll say they're expensive and I'm broke. Lol

So off I go to do some more research!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink_Sunshine
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Seasonal Weather

24 hour public transportation

Lots of things to see and do

Diversity galore

High cost of living

My hometown

Brooklyn, NY (NYC)

If you can afford to live in NYC, then it's a great place to live if you're looking for stores that don't close at a certain time, being able to get anywhere in the city without a car at any time even 3am.

mommylicious4
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Sacramento,Ca

the golden state. we have national parks like yosemeti natnl prk, great america,sea world,disney land,hollywood, weather is pretty okay depending where you live.
economy wise everyhing is expensive gas,food,houses,

cali is a good state but it has its negativity too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhmomma
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Thanks, ladies! Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Sunshine
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM

BUMP!

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Omaha, NE.

It is my hometown, but I left when I turned 18yro. It was too boring! Now that we have kids and such, we moved back. I'm 29yro with three boys.

Honestly, it's nice to be back but I kinda don't like it lol! I mean, the schools are a zillion times better then where we were (southern Mississippi) and the neighborhoods are super clean. Always stuff to do.

But I hate the weather. I'm wearing a fleece today! It's raining and cold! Effing sucks!

The food is bland. It's like eating cardboard! I don't think they'd know what good food was if it slapped them! I actually had someone recommend Red Lobster for "good" seafood! Gag! I'm so glad I married a man from Louisiana! His cooking makes up for the shit food! :).

This is definitely a family oriented city, which is great! There is always something to do with the kids!

Main attractions? The Henry Doorly Zoo. It kicks ass! I worked there as a teen as a keeper's assistant. It's one of my favorite places! Some of my best friends are giraffes lol ;).

I ride horses, hunter/jumper. Plenty of that going on.

They have the College World Series here. And the Olympic Swim Trails are being held here.

It's a cool city all and all, but I miss the white, sandy beaches and boiled crawfish!

ETA: I left bc it was soccermom central! Now that I am a mom with kids in school, it just seemed logical. I'm still not a soccermom lol, so it's been an adjustment. But it is a good place. Just pack your hot sauce!

Omaha has very low unemployment. It seems like everyone is hiring! This a frugal city, which I attribute to Warren Buffett's influence. For the most part, people here live within their means and prefer to be debt free then own a fancy car. I'd say the cost of living is fairly low. It's actually almost the same as it was in MS (when comparing house prices and groceries, etc). College is expected. Your trash man probably has a degree lol! Which is reason number one why we left the south! Omaha is a liberal, democratic blue dot in a very red, conservative state. Although there are a lot of political debates and arguments, I think they actually balance each other. And Offutt is here, so we have a kick ass air show and lots of cuties in their gear running around ;).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Nichole on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Welll I'm in AZ too, just southern AZ. Honestly I love it here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhmomma
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM
I'm completely miserable. The thought of having to stay here gives me major anxiety. The schools SUCK. There are no jobs. It's boring and ugly. The summers are miserable and last way too long. Lol

Quoting hautemama83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Nichole on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM
I think I'd feel the same if I was in the Phoenix area. Too many people, too hot, and too busy LOL. We moved out here from Cali almost two years ago, so for me this place is great. Of course we kinda live in the middle of no where. Closest town is sierra vista and that's roughly 20 minutes south of us.

Quoting bhmomma:

I'm completely miserable. The thought of having to stay here gives me major anxiety. The schools SUCK. There are no jobs. It's boring and ugly. The summers are miserable and last way too long. Lol

Quoting hautemama83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermama322
by Made in Canada on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in Canada, so N/A i guess! Here's a Bump for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloodredhair
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM

We live in the Chicago area. We're moving to Northwestern suburbs (i'm pregnant with my first).

The weather was good, has all four seasons, but there wasn't much winter this year, making up for the heavy winter last year. 

Chicago has lots of attractions, Navy Pier, Lincoln Park Zoo, Sears (willis) tower and a lot more. 

I would totally recommend Chicago, I personally really like it.

the Chicago public schools are good in certain parts and terrible in others, I'm not sure of your budget. If your at all interested message me and I can tell you more :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN