Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I love this man (post contains: Bible bashing/homosexuality/Dan Savage) (taken from The Stir)

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM
  • 121 Replies
4 moms liked this

Dan Savage Should Not Apologize For His 'Mean' Bible Comments(<--click title for link to The Stir)

Dan Savage, the writer and activist who launched the 'It Gets Better'project and has been outspoken about gay rights, caused a huge stir at the National High School Journalist Conference in Seattle when he openly bashed the parts of the bible that say being gay is "wrong." A number of kids walked out of the speech, some even cried, but Savage kept on going.

To those who walked out, I say this: Boo hoo. The truth hurts. We ignore so many parts of the bible in our daily lives it would make a person's head spin to count them all and yet we focus on this? We focus on the few lines that justify persecuting an entire group of people?

Those who do so are wrong and ignorant and deserve to be called out and no one should ever apologize for doing so. See Savage's comments below:

He said:

We can learn to ignore the bulls*** in the Bible about gay people. The same way we have learned to ignore the bulls*** in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery, about dinner, about farming, about menstruation, about virginity, about masturbation. We ignore bulls*** in the Bible about all sorts of things.

As the students reacted with varying degrees of horror, Savage responded with:

It’s funny, as someone who’s on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the bible, how pansy-assed some people react when you push back.

Go Dan Savage! It is impressive that he had the courage to say and do what he did and for those who are offended, I ask you this: Why? What is the problem? Is it that he is pointing out the truth about the incredible hypocrisy of using religion to justify hating gay people?

Any time a book (or anything else) is used as an excuse to persecute people, we ought to be questioning it. But, in our culture, it is verboten to openly question the teachings of religion. We claim this is "religious freedom," which is all fine and good, but the second someone's freedom to practice their religion hurts someone else's freedom just to exist and love and grow as a human, then it is wrong.

It is so wrong that we need to call it out. But it takes tremendous courage to do so. Savage is smart and he is witty and most of all, he is RIGHT. He is righteous. And he is spreading the truth. If he changed one mind, if he made one person realize just how wrong it is to use religion to justify persecution, then he has done something important.

Sometimes some people have to be offended, especially if they are wrong. Savage should never apologize for speaking the truth.

Opinions?

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JF87
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Love this and love you Trick!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Josie_P
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Love him!!! I love his new show Savage U!

Mandiii04
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JF87:

Love this and love you Trick!

I wub wub wub wub wub wub you Treat!

Mandiii04
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

BUMP!

TSNDDY
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM
3 moms liked this
I watched the video love it !
Sad that many people refused to listen by leaving..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM
8 moms liked this

Hypocrisy at it's finest....don't bash me, but it's awesome that I bash you....typical!

brookiecookie87
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with him whole heartedly.

chalisa0
by Kim on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know who he is, but I do agree with ignoring certain parts of the bible, but not others-for the literalists (lots of us-most of us-don't interpret it literally.)  The only problem I have is when someone upsets children and makes them cry-and then mocks them about it.  Turns him into the biggest hypocrite out there.  And takes away from the real message.

irishstarz
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Some people can't handle the truth. I pity them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TSNDDY
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Hes been beaten because of the bible I think he's got every right to push back

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Hypocrisy at it's finest....don't bash me, but it's awesome that I bash you....typical!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)