Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

For all those who are against homeschooling.......

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM
  • 207 Replies
4 moms liked this

I know you have your reasons, and I won't try to change your mind. You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. But I did want to tell you some things from the mind of a homeschool mama. I should begin by stating that I haven't started homeschooling yet; we are going to begin in the fall. However, I do feel strongly about my decision. I was always of the mindset that "Public school was good enough for me; it should be good enough for my kids." However, when I started looking at the schools around our area, I was simply......unimpressed. I was stuck; the area in which we live is safe and family-friendly, but is close enough to the "bad" schools that we were zoned for those schools. I was told by many people that the closest school to us was horrible; at Open House, the PRINCIPAL was using double negatives and other bad forms of grammar. If their own administration can't use proper grammar, how can I expect them to teach my kids well? I tried to transfer to a different school, but the state makes it very hard. Without very, very good reasons, it's nearly impossible. And private school is out of the budget and out of the question. So, for these reasons, along with the fact that my DS needs more one-on-one teaching than he'd get in a traditional classroom, I chose to homeschool. DH has told me that he trusts me to teach my kids more than the teachers at the schools, and (at the risk of sounding arrogant), I'm inclined to agree with him. All that to say, before you bash homeschooling mamas, listen to the reasoning behind their decision. If you do, it might just make sense to you.

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM
4 moms liked this

We all have different reasons for homeschooling and every family homeschools different.

Whatever is best for your children!

melissa632
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I think homeschooling is fantastic. However, it would NEVER work for my son & I. I wish it would so we could travel more freely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
avonleafan
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I wish we could travel more frequently, but finances don't allow it right now. At some point we will. My goal is to allow my kids to experience more culture than I did as a child. :D Where would you want to go, if I may ask?

Quoting melissa632:

I think homeschooling is fantastic. However, it would NEVER work for my son & I. I wish it would so we could travel more freely.

Coca.Cola
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I am always confused why homeschooling is so upsetting for complete strangers. 

TSNDDY
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Not against homeschooling, planning to homeschool our kids!
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TSNDDY
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM
That's going to be a biggie for us! Cause DFs busy season is always during school breaks which would make travel impossible

Quoting melissa632:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Goldilocks
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM
5 moms liked this

Unless someone sounds straight trashy or gangster I don't criticize their grammar, LOL. I'm not against homeschooling necessarily. I'm against people who are not well educated or actual teachers doing it. I have known 6 parents who have homeschooled.. Only 2 out of that 6 were/are successful. One of which actually has a teaching degree.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
grey7399
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm ok with homeschooling. I'm against idiots who can't reason or speak properly trying to homeschool their kids.
avonleafan
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm too prim for my own good, I guess; my family used to call me the grammar police, lol. I don't have a teaching degree, but I do have a B.A. in communications and a minor in English. 

Quoting Mom2Goldilocks:

Unless someone sounds straight trashy or gangster I don't criticize their grammar, LOL. I'm not against homeschooling necessarily. I'm against people who are not well educated or actual teachers doing it. I have known 6 parents who have homeschooled.. Only 2 out of that 6 were/are successful. One of which actually has a teaching degree.

2boys_1girl
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM
7 moms liked this

As a teacher I can assure you that there are things your child will miss out on because they are not in a classroom community. As a parent I feel for you and can understand your decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN