Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Purity Balls, Rings and Promises

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your thoughts on this? Do you plan on having your DD make any sort of Purity Promise?

For those that don't know what this is....

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
alwayskk
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Right. It's just something that exists and it's really rather trivial, IMO.

I don't plan on teaching my kids that they lose their 'purity' once they've had sex, or that the first time is more important than any other time. The importance of sex doesn't change once you've had it.

Quoting LoriLou75:

My children have values. They are not taught that virginity is something to "save" or "give away". 

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

I think that we as parents need to teach our children our values.    I may very well buy my daughter, and my sons  a ring if they are willing to commit to waiting until marriage.   Something this important does  deserve a little ceromony.   If you don't teach your children any values around sex then they WILL most likely do what typical culture says is "Normal" and then their parents will wonder why their child has a teen pregnancy or STD.  

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I went to an all girls Catholic college prepatory academy...The president of the "True Love Waits" club was the biggest slut in the school, just sayin'.

bekalynne440
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM
We will do purity rings. I bought my own purity ring at 16. When I met my now husband, it turned out we had the same purity rings. To me it was sweet, and I'm so glad we saved ourselves for each other. The rings were good reminders to us both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Sugaree.
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM
They are a joke and make me LMAO!!! Ha ha ha ha ha hahahahah!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ac10
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I'm creeped out.

LoriLou75
by Lori on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I would laugh, but I find they are so damaging to women, that I can't

Quoting .Sugaree.:

They are a joke and make me LMAO!!! Ha ha ha ha ha hahahahah!!!

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

Apollos82
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I don't thi k it psycho one bite. We wonder why society is going down hill, yet we pride ourselves in being "progressive" enough that we allow our children to have sex. They are still children--still not fully grown! We try to prevent animals from mating until they are fully grown, but not our own children? It's rediculous.

I don't know what we will do to encourage purity in our children, but it WILL be happening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Not valuing 'purity' and virginity doesn't mean you won't be encouraging your children to not have sex. -.-

LoriLou75
by Lori on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I think it is damaging. 

I am not getting your point with the animals. I spayed my dog, you bet your ass I will NOT be removing my childrens sex organs!

Quoting Apollos82:

I don't thi k it psycho one bite. We wonder why society is going down hill, yet we pride ourselves in being "progressive" enough that we allow our children to have sex. They are still children--still not fully grown! We try to prevent animals from mating until they are fully grown, but not our own children? It's rediculous.

I don't know what we will do to encourage purity in our children, but it WILL be happening.

-Albert Einstein

Apollos82
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Of course you won't be removing them. I would be appalled if you did!

What I mean is that we take measures to protect our animals from harm that premature sex can cause. For example, a dog breeder will not breed a dog before it is fully mature. Yes, the dog could have puppies at that age, yes the puppies would be fine, but the mother would not. So, because the breeder cares for the dog and cares for their investment, he takes care to ensure it does not have sex too early.

But we do not seem to take the same care with our own children. 16 is too young to be having sex. The consiquenses of sex that young are huge and more far reaching than I think we even understand.

We are quickly becoming an overly-sexualized culture. This is not a healthy environment for our children, nor is teaching our children about "safe" sex doing us any favors to prevent the onslaught of sexual messages and over-emphasis on sexuality our culture seems to highlight. Overly sexual or sexually deviated cultures rarely last long term, in the grand scheme of things.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I think it is damaging. 

I am not getting your point with the animals. I spayed my dog, you bet your ass I will NOT be removing my childrens sex organs!

Quoting Apollos82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)