Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

and so it begins... fml. Should I buy a trailer??

Posted by   + Show Post

This week was already going to be chaotic, and now it just got a little more crazy.

My 4 year old had his field trip today, and my 6 yo DD has hers Friday. Jer (the fiancee) has his hip surgery Wednsday afternoon and will be in the hospital for a couple days. He'll probably be pretty much bed-bound for a whole month.

Meanwhile, I was just asked to work from 10-1:00 pm today just. Apparently, the camp will need to be cleaned once a week every Monday morning.

And when I got home from dropping my DS off at school I had an e-mail from the camp director.

He wants me to start cooking for a small group at the camp THIS weekend for both breakfast and dinner! Jeeze... I'm excited, but did it reaaaallly have to be THIS week?

My weekends just became non-existant. Good thing I spent a whole day doing nothing on Saturday.

Oh, and we're also throwing around the idea of buying a cheap trailer in a trailer park in June. Lot rent would be afforadable with what I work NOW (25 hours a week @ Cleaning). It just seems like the more financially responsible thing to do is. I have hesitations living in a trailer, buuuut I see more pros to it than cons.

This is a pivotal time in my life. It's a time to do big and great things, and I feel as if I got my head in the game. The stress, though, has left me with a forever-migraine! I just wish we could go back to before Jer's accident. Him working FT to support the family, and me being a SAHM with a part-time job and full-time student. No money issues whatsoever. :-/

Ahhh well...what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. :) I'm already pretty damn strong, so it'll be interesting how macho I will be after this week!

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Replies (171-180):
lifehappy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Quoting judybant:

first off... a cheap trailer is going to be incredibly expensive to heat and cool. They do not have good insulation in them. Unless you are buying one that's less than 5 years old... secondly... understand that you will never, ever, EVER get back what you've put into a trailer. Ever. You can plate the entire thing in pure gold, and you'll still never get back what you've got into it. 

We used to own one. And it was actually a NICE one... but when the furnace went out in the middle of January, in Wisconsin, and the temperature inside the house dropped to 29 degrees... we had NO ONE to call. NONE of the furnace repair places would even come look at it, because it was in a mobile home. NOTHING in them is "standard" size... if you decide to replace a door... you have to either special order it... or find a mobile home supply place, and you're going to pay more than what a comparable door would cost you at Home Depot or Lowe's. You can't just change a light switch, because the boxes behind the switch are completely different than what's in the store. Again... need a mobile home supply dealer, and it's more expensive... plumbing, Same thing. You can't just go to the hardware store and pick up a new faucet, or toilet, or anything... it's crazy. 

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except for the last part. My husband gets 99% of his supplies at Menard's.

Bianca008
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

We bought a new trailer in 1996 for 57,000 and lived in it for 11 years and sold it in 2007 for 122,500 so not all trailers depreciate in price and this was on a rented lot.

Tea4Tas
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Quoting BannerElkHogans:

every town has a trailer park! ok an sometimes the people in a certain park invite certain trouble- drug's,fighting,booze,pedophile's,convic'setc- I'm saying all trailer parks are like that . We have 1 were we live but it's for Senior Citizen an no 1 under 50 is allow to stay there ..........some trailer parks have noise rules,pet rules,rules regarding kids an stuff in or on your lot.........so make sure you do your homework .........an good luck shug!

There are no trailor parks where I live. There were none where I grew up either. MANY MANY towns don't allow them -zoning regulations keep them out.

LizzieAnnesMom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Would yall be able to afford lot rent after camp is over with? That is more of a seasonal job and wont be around all year.

LizzieAnnesMom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Oh our redneck town has enough to make up for your town...

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting BannerElkHogans:

every town has a trailer park! ok an sometimes the people in a certain park invite certain trouble- drug's,fighting,booze,pedophile's,convic'setc- I'm saying all trailer parks are like that . We have 1 were we live but it's for Senior Citizen an no 1 under 50 is allow to stay there ..........some trailer parks have noise rules,pet rules,rules regarding kids an stuff in or on your lot.........so make sure you do your homework .........an good luck shug!

There are no trailor parks where I live. There were none where I grew up either. MANY MANY towns don't allow them -zoning regulations keep them out.

blessed107
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Same here I haven't seen one in years.The ones I did see are maybe two counties over and they don't look like the ones I saw growing up. The were very nice and looked similar to a ranch style home.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting BannerElkHogans:

AngieDawn28
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

actually-i can't believe i'm going to stick for her, but she is right about this. certain parks will offer older trailers that you buy "as is" or as a "handyman special".

hubs and i just bought a trailer for 100 bucks back in december. it is an older park, but not the typical trailer park either. all we had to do was replace the hot water heater and it is in need of paint, which we are working on room by room.

we did have to pass a credit check though.

Quoting lifehappy:

Bree, SERIOUSLY. Do you just pull shit out of your ass as you go along?

No, parks don't "often" off trailers free as a handyman's special. And, like I said, my DH has trailers. Not one, or two, but close to 300. If it's for sale for $1,000, it's not clean.

Quoting .BREE.:

Oh it is a piece of shit. Like I said, I grew up in a trailer park. I realize it's a piece of shit trailer.

And that's not true at all ... at least not in MI. No one wants to live in a trailer park anymore, so they're fairly easy to get into. Often parks will take their older trailers and offer them FREE as a handyman's special. Of course, they need updating and often times appliances but they're clean, semi-sturdy (or mobile!) homes. 

I'd rather my children have a stable roof over their heads... not have them live under a bridge. 

Quoting lifehappy:

My husband owns several rental trailers; if you can buy one, even if it's ancient and in very bad shape, on leased land for $1,000, then I guarantee it's a piece of shit. Beyond a piece of shit. I would rather live under a bridge.

Oh, and our vacation home is a manufactured home. So I don't knock trailers for shits and giggles.

.BREE.
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM

After my obligation with the YMCA is over with, I'll be working pretty damn close to full-time with the cleaning business.

See, the thing is, and I know this first hand many companies no longer hire in full-time entry level employees. Hell, my co-workers have worked there for over 5 years and still receive just under 35 hours a week to keep it that way.

MANY, many places around here use similar tactics to keep their business costs down.

But yes, even AFTER camp (and right now with working my 20 or so hours a week @ the cleaning place) I'll have enough for lot rent. That's one of the big huge pros about the whole trailer idea.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Would yall be able to afford lot rent after camp is over with? That is more of a seasonal job and wont be around all year.

LizzieAnnesMom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are absolutely sure you can afford it later I say go for it. But make sure which every one you get is built to withstand the weather for your area.

Quoting .BREE.:

After my obligation with the YMCA is over with, I'll be working pretty damn close to full-time with the cleaning business.

See, the thing is, and I know this first hand many companies no longer hire in full-time entry level employees. Hell, my co-workers have worked there for over 5 years and still receive just under 35 hours a week to keep it that way.

MANY, many places around here use similar tactics to keep their business costs down.

But yes, even AFTER camp (and right now with working my 20 or so hours a week @ the cleaning place) I'll have enough for lot rent. That's one of the big huge pros about the whole trailer idea.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

.BREE.
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

You obviously don't live in MI. They're a dime a dozen out here. We have all types ... nice, respectable parks with 50,000 + "modular homes" and the drug infested, drama fests too. This one is ... lol .... let's just call it "country." 

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting BannerElkHogans:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN