Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

You may THINK your child is well behaved but he is actually a brat!

This is what I think about the majority of children that I come into contact with.  I dont understand why parents allow their children to: talk back, run around touching everything, argue with the parent, whine, throw temper tantrums, scream and cry to get their way, and just basically be rude little urchins.  I have five children that have been taught that you dont tlak back to an adult, you dont dare act up in public, you may ask for something once and I will either say yes or no but you may not whine, beg, or argue over my answer.  I dont care what type of discipline parents use but they need to be consistent.  I hate standing in line somewhere and listening to a parent/child argue about whether the kid is getting candy or not and then finally the parent will say " Well if you will be good the rest of the day you can have the candy" 

WTH?  I dont bribe my children to behave I demand it...and lord help the child of mine that tells me no or dares to yell at me.  Please people wake up and realize children are not small adults they do not deserve the same treatment, respect, or privaledges adults do.  So why do you allow your child to misbehave? 

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Replies (121-130):
Saille717
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I cringe at how many kids behave. I compliment parents of well behaved children. I don't see tons of them. Most are average. But I agree-- no means no, I do not bribe my son to behave -- I expect him to, no saddling adults no matter how they behave, if it's not yours don't touch it without asking, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilbit53009
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM

lol of course i've tried all that. he still screams and cries. different things work for different kids. i'd rather just buy a $1 toy than have him scream and cry the entire time in the store. and i'm not a SAHM mom, so my trips to the store have to be done in whatever time i can fit them in. i can't just leave and come back later if we need groceries for the house.

just because i buy him a $1 toy from target...hardly means i'm setting him up to not be the best he can be. 

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting lilbit53009:

ehh i pick my battles. if that $1 car is going to keep my 3 year old quiet and happy during a trip to target...hell yea i'm going to buy it for him! lol

But why take the easy way out?  Dont we as parents owe it to our children to raise them to be the very best that they can be?  If we teach them that alls they have to do is throw a fit and they get what they want what will happen when they are adults and try this?  If you consistently told him that if he is not quiet he will be in trouble and then followed throught with the whatever punishment you use then eventually he would learn to be quiet when told.

andersongirl562
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting maressa76:

Ummmm...what exactly do you do to your kids??  My kids have temper tantrums, talk back and yadda yadda yadda...and I am very consistant with time outs, spanks and taking things away.  But guess what my kids are very stubborn.  Maybe your kids are just easy?

I dont know I am very consistent make rules clear from the time they are able to walk. I have 5 kids and yes some are more stubborn than others but i dont bend so they eventually learn.  I use timeout,spanking,seperatio (their room with door closed)taking away priveledges whatever it takes to get the desired behavior.

Now I understand.  See, I don't hit my kids.  So while they may be "brats" in your eyes, I still refuse to "spank" them.  And I'm sure you might think 'well if you spanked them, they wouldn't be brats.'  No, still not doing it.  They're far from brats, but I have a little more respect for them than to stand over them and hit them.

You are very defensive your childen must be very bratty :) I actually dont think all children need to be spanked and I very rarely spank my children but I will use it as a discipline method if I need to.  My youngest is 4.5 and has been spanked exactly 2 times in her life.  Any kind of discipline works as long as you are consistant with the rules and the consequences.

I guess you missed where I said "they're far from brats".  LOL.  I'm not getting defensive.  I don't get defensive because I have no reason to.  

As someone else has pointed out, if your kids are as perfect as you claim them to be, why are you spanking them to begin with?  They follow your every word.  

You mean *gasp* your kids have their less-than-stellar moments too??

Actually both times my daughter has been spanked it has been because she has put her self in danger..when she was 3 she tried to open the car door while I was driving so I pulled over and spanked her, the second time she pulled out of her older sisters hand and tried to run accross the stree to get to me when I was getting groceries and could have been hit by a car so she got a spanking then.  Neither incidence's were for acting bratty or throwing tatrums they were for disobeying me

momswag
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This is me too! I cannot stand noise or children running around. I gives me severe anxiety.

Quoting alwayskk:

Every time we go in public, I get people telling me to chill out and let my kids be kids. LOL I don't even think I'm a helicopter mom, I just can't stand noise or kids running around.

jillbailey26
by Emerald Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting maressa76:

Ummmm...what exactly do you do to your kids??  My kids have temper tantrums, talk back and yadda yadda yadda...and I am very consistant with time outs, spanks and taking things away.  But guess what my kids are very stubborn.  Maybe your kids are just easy?

I dont know I am very consistent make rules clear from the time they are able to walk. I have 5 kids and yes some are more stubborn than others but i dont bend so they eventually learn.  I use timeout,spanking,seperatio (their room with door closed)taking away priveledges whatever it takes to get the desired behavior.

Now I understand.  See, I don't hit my kids.  So while they may be "brats" in your eyes, I still refuse to "spank" them.  And I'm sure you might think 'well if you spanked them, they wouldn't be brats.'  No, still not doing it.  They're far from brats, but I have a little more respect for them than to stand over them and hit them.

You are very defensive your childen must be very bratty :) I actually dont think all children need to be spanked and I very rarely spank my children but I will use it as a discipline method if I need to.  My youngest is 4.5 and has been spanked exactly 2 times in her life.  Any kind of discipline works as long as you are consistant with the rules and the consequences.

I guess you missed where I said "they're far from brats".  LOL.  I'm not getting defensive.  I don't get defensive because I have no reason to.  

As someone else has pointed out, if your kids are as perfect as you claim them to be, why are you spanking them to begin with?  They follow your every word.  

You mean *gasp* your kids have their less-than-stellar moments too??

Actually both times my daughter has been spanked it has been because she has put her self in danger..when she was 3 she tried to open the car door while I was driving so I pulled over and spanked her, the second time she pulled out of her older sisters hand and tried to run accross the stree to get to me when I was getting groceries and could have been hit by a car so she got a spanking then.  Neither incidence's were for acting bratty or throwing tatrums they were for disobeying me

Hmm.  Well MY kids haven't tried to do either of those things.

See how kids are different?  Yours have done things mine wouldn't have dreamed of.  Just like other kids do things yours wouldn't dream of.  People parent differently, there's no cause for judgement.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

CaptainFeast
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Bullshit. Just plain bullshit.

Children are children. They aren't "tiny adults". They act like, and think like, children. Stop expecting your children to be adults, people! 

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

Children are small adults, and deserve to be respected just like any other human being.  Don't respect your children and they won't respect you- it's that simple.

momswag
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Of course you're going to parent as you chose but in general I cannot agree with that statement. You're teaching your child to whine/cry to get what he wants. So in order for him to behave he has to be given something. That isn't how the world works. 

Your child isn't learning that he needs to behave in public because it's the right thing to do, he's learning that his behavior controls what mommy does. Your son has control. 

Quoting lilbit53009:

lol of course i've tried all that. he still screams and cries. different things work for different kids. i'd rather just buy a $1 toy than have him scream and cry the entire time in the store. and i'm not a SAHM mom, so my trips to the store have to be done in whatever time i can fit them in. i can't just leave and come back later if we need groceries for the house.

just because i buy him a $1 toy from target...hardly means i'm setting him up to not be the best he can be. 

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting lilbit53009:

ehh i pick my battles. if that $1 car is going to keep my 3 year old quiet and happy during a trip to target...hell yea i'm going to buy it for him! lol

But why take the easy way out?  Dont we as parents owe it to our children to raise them to be the very best that they can be?  If we teach them that alls they have to do is throw a fit and they get what they want what will happen when they are adults and try this?  If you consistently told him that if he is not quiet he will be in trouble and then followed throught with the whatever punishment you use then eventually he would learn to be quiet when told.

andersongirl562
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

Woman, you are delerious, you can not tell me or any other mother in here that your child behaves that way every single time you are in public, and has never once ran away, or touched something, or cried because you said no..I don't believe it, nope...not one bit

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting PurplePieguy:

Thank you. I was wondering the same damn thing.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Eh, all kids have their moments and sometimes, as a parent, you have to pick your battles.  You may just be seeing one moment where that parent is picking a different battle than you would.

And to your statement about thinking your child is good, but they're really a brat.  Couldn't anyone else say the same about your child?

I dont know I dont think anyone would call her a brat.  She doesnt scream and cry to get her way, she does ask for things at the store but she knows not to touch anything unless she has her own money to pay for it, and if I say no I dont have money for that or not today then she accepts that without throwing a fit.  She may occasionally say " That makes me sad Mommy can we come back for it another day?"  She either walks next to a cart or sits in the cart and if she is walking she has to be right next to the cart. No she is not perfect but I can honostly say she doesnt act like a brat.

Ok well you can delude yourself if it makes you feel better about your own childrens behaviour.  My daugher is very mature, very well spoken, and very well mannered.  She is able to express her own opion but in a completely acceptable manner and is also able to accept when I say no...then I mean no.

momswag
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I agree, they are not adults but they are people. People no matter their age, mental capacity or height deserve to be respected. 

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Bullshit. Just plain bullshit.

Children are children. They aren't "tiny adults". They act like, and think like, children. Stop expecting your children to be adults, people! 

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

Children are small adults, and deserve to be respected just like any other human being.  Don't respect your children and they won't respect you- it's that simple.

mi4339mi
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Certain behaviors are simply not tolerated in public. My boys know this and they behave accordingly.

Oh and my boys have NEVER hit me, told me "no" or talked back, they are now 6 and 17

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)