Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

You may THINK your child is well behaved but he is actually a brat!

This is what I think about the majority of children that I come into contact with.  I dont understand why parents allow their children to: talk back, run around touching everything, argue with the parent, whine, throw temper tantrums, scream and cry to get their way, and just basically be rude little urchins.  I have five children that have been taught that you dont tlak back to an adult, you dont dare act up in public, you may ask for something once and I will either say yes or no but you may not whine, beg, or argue over my answer.  I dont care what type of discipline parents use but they need to be consistent.  I hate standing in line somewhere and listening to a parent/child argue about whether the kid is getting candy or not and then finally the parent will say " Well if you will be good the rest of the day you can have the candy" 

WTH?  I dont bribe my children to behave I demand it...and lord help the child of mine that tells me no or dares to yell at me.  Please people wake up and realize children are not small adults they do not deserve the same treatment, respect, or privaledges adults do.  So why do you allow your child to misbehave? 

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Replies (101-110):
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Working with children and parents for 16 years (including special education) I can tell you that parents do know when their kids are misbehaving.
It can be hard for parents to dicipline in front of others. They dont know what to do. Often times this is when the kids really act up.
Not all kids are perfectly behaving 100% of the time. And parents arent perfect either. We are all human.
Children do deserve respect and its important to teach them how to respect others and themselves.

You dont know everyones circumstances. The world is not black and white. There isnt just one way, one answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM
My kids have their moments and always at the worst times. But, they're people with moods, emotions and expressions. They aren't brats because they express them or are learning too.

But it's funny, you saying other people don't know they have bratty kids, sounds like you are also one of the blind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dandylynes
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Reading thru some of the replies regarding very well behaved children, the only word that comes to mind is robot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Quoting braezmommy89:

You do realize she said she uses timeout, spanking etc

My question is why would you have to do any of that if your kids are perfect bratless angels andersongirl?? Seems to me your admitting your kids do have bratty moments... cause if they didnt, why would you need to spank them?

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting maressa76:

Ummmm...what exactly do you do to your kids??  My kids have temper tantrums, talk back and yadda yadda yadda...and I am very consistant with time outs, spanks and taking things away.  But guess what my kids are very stubborn.  Maybe your kids are just easy?

I dont know I am very consistent make rules clear from the time they are able to walk. I have 5 kids and yes some are more stubborn than others but i dont bend so they eventually learn.  I use timeout,spanking,seperatio (their room with door closed)taking away priveledges whatever it takes to get the desired behavior.

Now I understand.  See, I don't hit my kids.  So while they may be "brats" in your eyes, I still refuse to "spank" them.  And I'm sure you might think 'well if you spanked them, they wouldn't be brats.'  No, still not doing it.  They're far from brats, but I have a little more respect for them than to stand over them and hit them.

I never said my children dont occasionally act up my question was why do parents allow this behaviour out in public?  At home my children do occasionally act out I cant really say they throw fits or tantrums because they dont really after the age of 2 and I dont consider kids under the age of 2 brats if they are throwing tantrums.  The age group I am really talking about is like 3 or 4 and above.

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM
I think your parents failed in raising you,if you feel the need to judge innocent children and resort to name calling when you know absolutely nothing about them (:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Quoting PurplePieguy:

Thank you. I was wondering the same damn thing.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Eh, all kids have their moments and sometimes, as a parent, you have to pick your battles.  You may just be seeing one moment where that parent is picking a different battle than you would.

And to your statement about thinking your child is good, but they're really a brat.  Couldn't anyone else say the same about your child?

I dont know I dont think anyone would call her a brat.  She doesnt scream and cry to get her way, she does ask for things at the store but she knows not to touch anything unless she has her own money to pay for it, and if I say no I dont have money for that or not today then she accepts that without throwing a fit.  She may occasionally say " That makes me sad Mommy can we come back for it another day?"  She either walks next to a cart or sits in the cart and if she is walking she has to be right next to the cart. No she is not perfect but I can honostly say she doesnt act like a brat.

Cymbeline
by Spock's 2nd Cousin on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Children are not small adults; they're on an entirely different level developmentally.

That being said, boundaries are important. The best way to set boundaries is to be consistent.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting PurplePieguy:

Thank you. I was wondering the same damn thing.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Eh, all kids have their moments and sometimes, as a parent, you have to pick your battles.  You may just be seeing one moment where that parent is picking a different battle than you would.

And to your statement about thinking your child is good, but they're really a brat.  Couldn't anyone else say the same about your child?

I dont know I dont think anyone would call her a brat.  She doesnt scream and cry to get her way, she does ask for things at the store but she knows not to touch anything unless she has her own money to pay for it, and if I say no I dont have money for that or not today then she accepts that without throwing a fit.  She may occasionally say " That makes me sad Mommy can we come back for it another day?"  She either walks next to a cart or sits in the cart and if she is walking she has to be right next to the cart. No she is not perfect but I can honostly say she doesnt act like a brat.

Well, as your title says, "You may THINK your child is well behaved...."

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

andersongirl562

Quoting jillbailey26:

What's the saying?

You judge others as you see yourself?

Judging others doesn't define who they are, it defines who you are?

Something like that.

Again I have yet to get an intelligent answer from you

Livinwith3boys
1 mom liked this

I'll take my brats that have a personality, and know how to voice opinion and aren't afraid of me, over robot children walking around miserable!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN