Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

You may THINK your child is well behaved but he is actually a brat!

This is what I think about the majority of children that I come into contact with.  I dont understand why parents allow their children to: talk back, run around touching everything, argue with the parent, whine, throw temper tantrums, scream and cry to get their way, and just basically be rude little urchins.  I have five children that have been taught that you dont tlak back to an adult, you dont dare act up in public, you may ask for something once and I will either say yes or no but you may not whine, beg, or argue over my answer.  I dont care what type of discipline parents use but they need to be consistent.  I hate standing in line somewhere and listening to a parent/child argue about whether the kid is getting candy or not and then finally the parent will say " Well if you will be good the rest of the day you can have the candy" 

WTH?  I dont bribe my children to behave I demand it...and lord help the child of mine that tells me no or dares to yell at me.  Please people wake up and realize children are not small adults they do not deserve the same treatment, respect, or privaledges adults do.  So why do you allow your child to misbehave? 

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Replies (191-200):
hddcooper
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM
People give in to their children because they get tired of arguing with them. There should not be an argument in the first place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmachine47
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

My daughter is good at the most part. She has never had meltdowns in public. If she wants somethign if I can afford it I will get it for her if I can't she don't throw a fit. It does irk me though when  I hear kids disrespecting their parent(s). A child should respect their parents no matter what.  I do agree that some kids are way out of control these days. 

GaleJ
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM

...no children are not small adults...BUT THEY ARE SMALL PEOPLE! In my opinion they deserve every respect I give to everyone regardless of their age and then some. And I believe that, being children, they deserve to be treated with gentle love that understands that they are not adults and should not be expected to have all the self-control that growing up, learning and maturity will one day give them. So if they aren't always at their best I try to understand and cut them and their parents some slack, you have no idea what their day, let alone their life, may be like and so shouldn't judge. There is a reason that humans have such a long childhood, it is because it takes that much time to properly guide a child to responsible adulthood. Unless you've never been cranky or sleepy or hungry and then been dragged out to run errands anyway because Mommy or Daddy have to do them, then maybe you just aren't very empathetic to how it must feel to do everything that adults ask without understanding your needs.

deadlights86
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I think my kids are brats but they are pretty well behaved when they want to be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JuliFox
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Too many people today confuse civility with respect.  Everyone has a right to expect others to be civil to them, but no one has a right to demand respect.  Respect is something that is earned over time. 

My neighbors are prime examples of this concept.  The ones downstairs?  Don't see them often, but when I do I am nice, make light conversation about weather or current events, and keep it civil.  Do I respect them?  Hell no.  Not after sitting up here all day listening to the woman screaming horrible things at her two daughters, or the two adults yelling horrible things at each other over their financial situation, or watching them tear in and out of the parking lot in the fancy cars her father rents for them, and listening to them spout off about some of the dishonest things they do.  To top that off, I suspect but can't prove that the woman is doing drugs.  People like them don't deserve my respect.

Now, the ones on the bottom floor of the building on the other side of the parking lot?  Like the other neighbors, we shoot the breeze every time we get a chance, mostly light stuff but sometimes share things that are going on in our lives.  Do I respect them?  Absolutely.  Because I watch them bending over backward to help their kids, our landlord, and a neighbor in their building who has been given a year to live and is trying desperately to hold on to her daughter.  They don't have much as it is but they work hard and give all that they can of themselves and their time to help and uplift everyone around them.  You bet your bippy they have my respect.

Children need consistency.  Telling a child no, and then giving in after they whine/cry/throw a tantrum, is not only inconsistent, it teaches the child that you are a pushover and that they can get anything they want by whining and crying enough.  Parents give in because it's the path of least resistance; it's harder to be a real parent and stand your ground.

Quoting JaimieLynn8:

Umm. There are lots of ADULTS that don't deserve the "treatment, respect, and privileges" you say they are entitled to.
But to say a child doesn't deserve respect? I say that should be a basic human right regardless of age.
Why are you so worried about if a parent "bribes" their kid? Not everyone's perfect. They do what they can & what works for them.

CafeMom Tickers
samirahk
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Lmao I discipline the same way you do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RedRozeMom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I will say this...your kids are just as bratty as mine and everybody else's on the planet.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting greenmachine47:

My daughter is good at the most part. She has never had meltdowns in public. If she wants somethign if I can afford it I will get it for her if I can't she don't throw a fit. It does irk me though when  I hear kids disrespecting their parent(s). A child should respect their parents no matter what.  I do agree that some kids are way out of control these days. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM
You know, I find it's the people that complain about other peoples kids behavior that have te WORST children! They think their kids are angels and every other child is a brat, but in reality their kids are the hellions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maressa76
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I am very consistant with the bad behaviour but there are other factors in the household....like a dad that let's them get away with more than he should grandparents that live right next door who let the kids whatever they want and are constantly spoiling them and NEVER discilipining them when they are watching them for us.   It seems like I take one step forward with the kids and then someone else has them for a bit and they are two steps back afterwards....thus is my life, thus the reason I am called  "the mean mom" by my son to his grammie. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN