Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

is it really that strange to check on your sleeping kids multiple times a night?

Posted by   + Show Post
I never thought it was, and now, I am even more convinced it is not strange or weird. A few days ago, someone posted about this, and a lot of you seemed to think it was wierd to check on sleeping children, especially ones out of infancy, while they sleep. Well, over the weekend a colleague of my mine put her 2 year old daughter to bed, and awoke to find her having a seizure. The baby did not survive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
grey7399
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I don't get up purposely to check on my kids.  

But I check on them before I go to sleep and if I'm up getting a snack or peeing or whatever.

MrsRinehart2010

I still check on my  4 year old after i puter her to bed when I go to bed, a few times in the middle of the night , when I get up and once or twice more before she gets up. same with my little one even if she is righ next to me :O)

heyma4

Mine are 10,11, 13,14. I still check on them at night. Especially when I work the late shift and they are all already asleep for the night when I get home. I give them kisses on their head. Not weird to me, and if anyone thinks it's weird...what do I care?

marinesweetie
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM
I still check on ds. I worry. I almost lost him once. I wont risk it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemini53176
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM
that is sad :( but that could happen even if u checked on your child multiple times. it couldve happend in between checking on them. i check once before i go to sleep and i have a moniter set up in hallway. i worry about all of these children being stolen out of their bedrooms. it seems to be happening alot all over the country.
StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM
My 5 year sleeps with me a good 97% of the time. But when he happens to pick his room, I do check on him ever few hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I check on him before I go to bed but not multiple times a night.

I'm sorry about your friends child.

But I cannot live my life.based on what ifs and freak.stories. I have to do what is best for us given our circumstances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I check on them before i got to bed and they are 7 and 3.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I think people have their reasons that are legitimate. I finally don't do it as much. But when my son was always sick with asthma I checked on him a lot. I did with my girls also, probably until my youngest was about 3 going on 4.  Since my son stopped having asthma episodes, now I only check on them maybe once in the night unless they are sick.  However, sometimes in the middle of the night, I wake up and just have to check on them, usually there is a good reason. Like someone laying head down, half off the bed and half on..LOL. How do they sleep that way? LOL. I adjust said child and tuck them back in.

yezay
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I think it's weird if you're disrupting your own sleep. It's so rare that something would happen and if you're waking up multiple times a night you should just co sleep at that point.  My son is 5 and we usually put him to bed with a movie, check on him when we shut the movie off, and then check on him again right before bed.  If I have to pee in the middle of the night I'd check on him again most likely but not wake up specifically to do that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN