Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

is it really that strange to check on your sleeping kids multiple times a night?

Posted by   + Show Post
I never thought it was, and now, I am even more convinced it is not strange or weird. A few days ago, someone posted about this, and a lot of you seemed to think it was wierd to check on sleeping children, especially ones out of infancy, while they sleep. Well, over the weekend a colleague of my mine put her 2 year old daughter to bed, and awoke to find her having a seizure. The baby did not survive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
grey7399
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I don't get up purposely to check on my kids.  

But I check on them before I go to sleep and if I'm up getting a snack or peeing or whatever.

MrsRinehart2010

I still check on my  4 year old after i puter her to bed when I go to bed, a few times in the middle of the night , when I get up and once or twice more before she gets up. same with my little one even if she is righ next to me :O)

heyma4

Mine are 10,11, 13,14. I still check on them at night. Especially when I work the late shift and they are all already asleep for the night when I get home. I give them kisses on their head. Not weird to me, and if anyone thinks it's weird...what do I care?

marinesweetie
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM
I still check on ds. I worry. I almost lost him once. I wont risk it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemini53176
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM
that is sad :( but that could happen even if u checked on your child multiple times. it couldve happend in between checking on them. i check once before i go to sleep and i have a moniter set up in hallway. i worry about all of these children being stolen out of their bedrooms. it seems to be happening alot all over the country.
StoneColdKiller
by Killer on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM
My 5 year sleeps with me a good 97% of the time. But when he happens to pick his room, I do check on him ever few hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I check on him before I go to bed but not multiple times a night.

I'm sorry about your friends child.

But I cannot live my life.based on what ifs and freak.stories. I have to do what is best for us given our circumstances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946

I check on them before i got to bed and they are 7 and 3.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I think people have their reasons that are legitimate. I finally don't do it as much. But when my son was always sick with asthma I checked on him a lot. I did with my girls also, probably until my youngest was about 3 going on 4.  Since my son stopped having asthma episodes, now I only check on them maybe once in the night unless they are sick.  However, sometimes in the middle of the night, I wake up and just have to check on them, usually there is a good reason. Like someone laying head down, half off the bed and half on..LOL. How do they sleep that way? LOL. I adjust said child and tuck them back in.

yezay

I think it's weird if you're disrupting your own sleep. It's so rare that something would happen and if you're waking up multiple times a night you should just co sleep at that point.  My son is 5 and we usually put him to bed with a movie, check on him when we shut the movie off, and then check on him again right before bed.  If I have to pee in the middle of the night I'd check on him again most likely but not wake up specifically to do that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)