Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My BFF got to have lunch with Temple Grandin!!

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM
  • 17 Replies
My BFF is a wonderful human being, who happens to have Asperger's. She has a son with it as well. She is a huge community activist for the special needs, and she even started a go-between program for parents needing IEPs and the school district in our town.

She is also a successful Admin Assistant for Google in Oregon and previously worked for Bill Gates in Washington.

She is currently on her way back from Denver, CO where she met Temple Grandin over lunch. She has learned so much from this woman and her revolutionary ideas about Autism. I am so grateful she got to meet Ms. Grandin, and, as a biased BFF, I believe Temple is lucky to have met my BFF!

Temple even told my BFF that her business card "made the dresser" as opposed to the wall of business cards Temple keeps.

I am not sure if my friend went through with it or not, but she was also asked to speak to teens with Autism about the importance of job skills and pursuing a career in today's society. I would be surprised if she did it because it was sprung on her and she doesn't like surprises. But she may surprise me! :)

Anyway...I just had to brag. I am SO PROUD of my girl and how far she has come from the gawky, awkward teen in London to traveling across the country to meet her heros and speak to others about her life. She's my hero!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Apollos82
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM
That's awesome!!! Temple is an amazing person, sounds like your BFF is a great one too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amomynous_j
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

who is that?

kimber2465
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

that is awesome!!!! would love to meet her!!!

graciebsgranny
by Angie on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

That is so cool, I don't know much about Ms. Grandin, but from what I know she is a remarkable woman!!

Apollos82
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM
They both are! :) Temple through her speaking engagements and her life story, and my BFF through practical help in my life have both made a huge difference in my own journey with Autism-like symptoms.

Quoting kathislove80:

That's awesome!!! Temple is an amazing person, sounds like your BFF is a great one too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:44 PM
She is a woman who changed the world's views on Autism in a day and age when autistic children were still being committed to assylems an such. Incidentally, her obsession is cattle and she also completely revolutionized how we understand and care for herds. She's brilliant!

Quoting amomynous_j:

who is that?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM
I highly recommend watching her biographical movie. :)

Quoting amomynous_j:

who is that?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amomynous_j
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM

awesome! i'll def check out the movie. =)

Quoting Apollos82:

She is a woman who changed the world's views on Autism in a day and age when autistic children were still being committed to assylems an such. Incidentally, her obsession is cattle and she also completely revolutionized how we understand and care for herds. She's brilliant!

Quoting amomynous_j:

who is that?

franken.dweeb
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM
That's awesome! I'm so jealous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN