Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

seriously? Only southern folk.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, myabe other people not from the south would enjoy this....

I recently received a "southern style" cook book from my MIL (they are from Georgia). I was just thumbing through and come across this recipe:

Fried Squirrel.

Now, who knows, maybe this really is a delicious dish. I wouldnt know since I have never tried it and never really wanted to. However, I am wondering where one would actually get squirrel in order to fry it. I am pretty darn sure I have never seen this at the butcher block at the local Stater Bros (or Krogers, Vons, Albertsons, Aldi's, Publix, etc)

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Replies (61-70):
Mrs.Miller11
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM

where are you from?

Quoting MatisMommy:

It's soooo good!!

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM

It's definitely my favorite.

Quoting mygardenia:

I dont know the bible, I am not religious.....I do know that quote is memorable.

Quoting jillbailey26:

The mutual edification one?  I have no clue.  I can only hope that most do and maybe we catch them on a bad day.  I know I try and still have bad days.  Yeah, I'm clinging to that :)

Quoting mygardenia:

Why dont more people look to that bible quote?

Quoting jillbailey26:

Uh.  Outside?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM
I can send you a few.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by bilf on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Has anyone else seen NYC squirrels? ?? They frighten me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Bahahaha no but i could call a few friends that would be right there lol

Quoting PinkHairMAMA:

I ran over one on the way home from the ball park, if ya want it. ;-)

Quoting thehickinhickor:

Bahahaha! no will some do but gross lol if you kill the the wrong time of yr the meat is nasty tho

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

I really thought that people ate that stuff because they ran over it... LMAO

Quoting thehickinhickor:

I. sorry OP but you have me lol i needed that lol you don't catch it you shot it lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Nichole on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM
People hunt them. Just like dove, deer, elk, rabbit and so on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Only shit yes omg and the damn pigeons and the trash the trash always got stuck to my face on a windy day ugh lol i miss queens lol

Quoting .betty.white.:

Has anyone else seen NYC squirrels? ?? They frighten me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3lilmonsters88
Uh you go outside and shoot it. LOL its pretty good actually. I've had Gator nuggets as well they were super yummy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrCruzito
1 mom liked this

Well it seems the misunderstanding here is that squirrel is "wild game" much like you arn't able to find beaver, frog legs, or quail at your grocery stores.  Wild game is not something unique to southern people, it is common in all hunting circles.  There are things called "Wild Game Feeds", family and friends all go hunting and come back with their "Wild Game" and they butcher it there and cook it all up and have a massive feed...much like city folk might call a "Pot Luck"...

I myself am quite fond of Wild Game and have eaten plenty of Squirrels.  The meat is extremely lean, low in cholesteral and extremely low fat.  The meat tastes similar to Venison and needs to be tenderized or cooked with a method that will tenderize the meat.  I would recomend a crock pot.  If the meat isn't properly tenderized one might think it is very chewy.  When cooked correctly it is delicious. 

I would recommend it smothered in a mushroom gravy, with Mashed Potatoes and corn on the cob. 

christi34
You would have to go outside and shoot one youself, silly!!!! I live in the south and I don't eat them. But I know people who do. They say it taste like chicken.

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

Ok, myabe other people not from the south would enjoy this....

I recently received a "southern style" cook book from my MIL (they are from Georgia). I was just thumbing through and come across this recipe:

Fried Squirrel.

Now, who knows, maybe this really is a delicious dish. I wouldnt know since I have never tried it and never really wanted to. However, I am wondering where one would actually get squirrel in order to fry it. I am pretty darn sure I have never seen this at the butcher block at the local Stater Bros (or Krogers, Vons, Albertsons, Aldi's, Publix, etc)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)