Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

seriously? Only southern folk.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, myabe other people not from the south would enjoy this....

I recently received a "southern style" cook book from my MIL (they are from Georgia). I was just thumbing through and come across this recipe:

Fried Squirrel.

Now, who knows, maybe this really is a delicious dish. I wouldnt know since I have never tried it and never really wanted to. However, I am wondering where one would actually get squirrel in order to fry it. I am pretty darn sure I have never seen this at the butcher block at the local Stater Bros (or Krogers, Vons, Albertsons, Aldi's, Publix, etc)

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mrs.Miller11
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I really thought that people ate that stuff because they ran over it... LMAO

Quoting thehickinhickor:

I. sorry OP but you have me lol i needed that lol you don't catch it you shot it lol

robbinsroost
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I like squirrel gumbo!

mes_deux_amours
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I would never eat it. I am not a southerner though.

Mrs.Miller11
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

bear and deer, I would be willing to eat (Ive had deer before). Possum, beaver tail, and the like...not so much I dont think.....

Quoting NatesMyBoy:

Squirrel plus .22 equals dinner. I have a 'joy of cooking' from 65 that has a whole section on wild game....beaver tail, squirrel opossum, bear deer etc

Zoeysmommy1023

Go outside and shoot one. lol. My mom and aunt used to eat it when they were little. I have never had it. (Born and raised in Florida)

thehickinhickor
Bahahaha! no will some do but gross lol if you kill the the wrong time of yr the meat is nasty tho

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

Quoting thehickinhickor:

I. sorry OP but you have me lol i needed that lol you don't catch it you shot it lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
Specialty shop. Seriously. Near hunting grounds in Texas (I've heard) they sell stuff like that lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM
you hunt them. I've never eaten one but I have elderly family members who say REAL brunswick stew is supposed to have squirrel, raccoon, or other wild animals.
Hell I've eaten their brunswick stew so I wouldn't bet much on me never eating squirrel. I just didn't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Miller11

see, why cant it just be like chicken or beef? fresh all year round! LOL

Quoting thehickinhickor:

Bahahaha! no will some do but gross lol if you kill the the wrong time of yr the meat is nasty tho

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

Quoting thehickinhickor:

NatesMyBoy
I've had bear and deer. Dh got a deer a few years ago and I had to cook it. It was grape vine fed and not gamely at all. The rest I guess if my family was hungry id cook just about anything.

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

bear and deer, I would be willing to eat (Ive had deer before). Possum, beaver tail, and the like...not so much I dont think.....

Quoting NatesMyBoy:

Squirrel plus .22 equals dinner. I have a 'joy of cooking' from 65 that has a whole section on wild game....beaver tail, squirrel opossum, bear deer etc

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN