Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

seriously? Only southern folk.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, myabe other people not from the south would enjoy this....

I recently received a "southern style" cook book from my MIL (they are from Georgia). I was just thumbing through and come across this recipe:

Fried Squirrel.

Now, who knows, maybe this really is a delicious dish. I wouldnt know since I have never tried it and never really wanted to. However, I am wondering where one would actually get squirrel in order to fry it. I am pretty darn sure I have never seen this at the butcher block at the local Stater Bros (or Krogers, Vons, Albertsons, Aldi's, Publix, etc)

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Replies (41-50):
Mrs.Miller11
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM

omg raccoon?! I will pass, thanks.

*never heard of brunswick stew....off to google*

Quoting kitty8199:

you hunt them. I've never eaten one but I have elderly family members who say REAL brunswick stew is supposed to have squirrel, raccoon, or other wild animals.
Hell I've eaten their brunswick stew so I wouldn't bet much on me never eating squirrel. I just didn't know.

thehickinhickor
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM
I don't remember lol

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

see, why cant it just be like chicken or beef? fresh all year round! LOL

Quoting thehickinhickor:

Bahahaha! no will some do but gross lol if you kill the the wrong time of yr the meat is nasty tho

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

I really thought that people ate that stuff because they ran over it... LMAO

Quoting thehickinhickor:

I. sorry OP but you have me lol i needed that lol you don't catch it you shot it lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM
You walk outside, point your gun & shoot lol.

I've eaten squirrel, quail, dove, goat, turtle, snake, I don't remember what else, but I don't remember it bcuz I was really little lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM

The mutual edification one?  I have no clue.  I can only hope that most do and maybe we catch them on a bad day.  I know I try and still have bad days.  Yeah, I'm clinging to that :)

Quoting mygardenia:

Why dont more people look to that bible quote?

Quoting jillbailey26:

Uh.  Outside?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Mrs.Miller11
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

well I mean if the only other option is starving, I would eat it out of necessity. But I am not positive I would try it just to say I tried it. I guess I may not be as open to new things as I thought *shrugs

Quoting NatesMyBoy:

I've had bear and deer. Dh got a deer a few years ago and I had to cook it. It was grape vine fed and not gamely at all. The rest I guess if my family was hungry id cook just about anything.

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

bear and deer, I would be willing to eat (Ive had deer before). Possum, beaver tail, and the like...not so much I dont think.....

Quoting NatesMyBoy:

Squirrel plus .22 equals dinner. I have a 'joy of cooking' from 65 that has a whole section on wild game....beaver tail, squirrel opossum, bear deer etc

etsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I believe that is what you do with the squirel that is outside stealing your bird food. Once the rest of the squirels see you eating their buddy, tehy will stay away from your trees and feeders. I have heard that squirel tastes a little like dark meat chicken. I haven't had it, but I really wanted to kill the ones that chatter when my parents are out hunting. Those things warn all the deer and elk!

momma2mms
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Shoot it. We ate it when we were kids. It has been years so I don't remember the taste, but I know we liked it.
TattoodMommy19
Lol outside silly. Try looking in a tree first. I've had squirrel, its not that bad.it is kinda stringy and chewy though. I'm in Texas btw
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyMarshall
I saw this on tv

MatisMommy
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM
It's soooo good!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)