Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Confessions of an "Oreo" (vent) a little long

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM
  • 15 Replies
No, this is not about a cookie, lol!

I see so many black people ready to fight white people over racism that may or may not exist in certain situations, but why not get mad over the "racism" amongst ourselves? Its not even always about the light skinned/ dark skinned issue. I will use myself as an example...

I am black, but not from the "hood". I went to private school, was in many activities and spoke properly, or mom would've been angry! We didn't use slang or broken english in her home. That doesn't sound bad right?

WRONG!!

Apparently, I'm stuck up and whatnot. Really?

Now, I understand many people may not always be able to help their current situations and I sympathize. But don't be mad at me because I was blessed with a great mom who busted her ASS to care for me, without help or gov assistance.

Sorry I speak too "proper" for you. This is where the oreo comment came. I was told that I was black on the outside but white on the inside. Lol, sorry... I don't speak hoodrat (j/k).

I'm rambling, but it pisses me off. And black folks wonder why we as a whole get talked about. Hell, we talk about EACH OTHER!! We need to get it together within our communities first... How the hell do we expect others to respect us when we (general) don't respect ourselves and each other?

Ok, sorry! I'm done, thanks for reading!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmtosam06
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Wow that's crazy but I agree
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaiahbellamom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Ok, as a bi racial woman I see colorism in my race,@ however ignorant people are ignorant people. The fact is most do have it together in our communities, but the negative is always brought to light. We will never get thru to everyone, but we have to remember not all Black Folks as you say act or think this way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NCmommie1012
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:14 AM
It is! I'm just trying to understand why an educated african american is considered stuck up by the others? Because we choose to improve our lives and not be on welfare forever?

Quoting mmtosam06:

Wow that's crazy but I agree

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NCmommie1012
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Yeah that's why I stuck (general) in there somewhere. I knew someone was gonna say that. Obviously not all black people feel this way, that wasn't the point. I can't agree with most communities having it together. Maybe where you live, but this post is my point of view from where I live.

Quoting isaiahbellamom:

Ok, as a bi racial woman I see colorism in my race,@ however ignorant people are ignorant people. The fact is most do have it together in our communities, but the negative is always brought to light. We will never get thru to everyone, but we have to remember not all Black Folks as you say act or think this way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Crab theory
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NCmommie1012
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM
?

Quoting terpmama:

Crab theory

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Idk, but I am white and one ofmy best friends is a highly educated black woman. When she moved back here after college, she was treated poorly by black men. They said she was too white now:/ doesn't make sense to me! She ended up marrying a white guy who appreciates her not makes her feel bad for educating herself. I never understood this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frankiesma530
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Why would you use a demeaning term to classify yourself then?  lol  The whole Oreo thing isn't cool either, just like getting bashed for speaking properly and being raised well isn't.

*I've been called that before, it's stupid.

isaiahbellamom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Low income poverty stricken places most times do not have it together. Majority of those community you speak about are not the norm and its underlying issues. I just hate when people feel the need to think all black folks think or act a certain way. This propels the myth to other races. Like I said ignorant people are ignorant people .

Quoting NCmommie1012:

Yeah that's why I stuck (general) in there somewhere. I knew someone was gonna say that. Obviously not all black people feel this way, that wasn't the point. I can't agree with most communities having it together. Maybe where you live, but this post is my point of view from where I live.

Quoting isaiahbellamom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HOT-T
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM

The thing that pisses me off is the fact that I speak proper english makes me "act" like a white girl. Get the fuck outta here. I was born and raised in minnesota, this is the way we speak. I know alot of ignorant ass people, and guess what? They come in all shades. I know alot of intelligent people, and guess what? They come in all shades. I wish people would just get to know people PERIOD. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN