Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
my son will be 3 in July, he had a slight speech delay but can use words for the most part now. Anyway, he has been doing this thing lately where he asks for something, like a specific dvd, and I put it on for him. In this case its an Imagination Movers dvd with an extra episode of Special Agent Oso. So I put it in and he's screaming "Oso, Oso, OSO!" So I put it on for him, then he starts screaming "Movers! Movers!!" So I put that on for him instead and he goes right back to screaming "Oso! Oso!!" So I change it back to Oso, then its "Movers! MOVERS!! Wahahahahahahaaaaaa!" So I put it back on Movers and tell him thats it, im done. He is still crying, but now he wants strawberry milk (which I never give him, SO gave him some the other day and he turned into a huge brat so no more of that) so he's screaming over that, then says "chocolate milk!" I again say no... More screaming and crying. Then he saying "blueberry, blueberry!!" So I try to give him some blueberries, he says no. Then he tried to open the fridge saying "strawberry, strawberry!!" So I help him open the door and he goes straight for the jelly, opens the top and sticks his finger in. So I again tell him no, close the jelly, shut the fridge all while he is screaming and crying for this and that. After all of that, he goes back to "Oso! Oso!!!" Uuuuugh!! NO! Just NO! How do I get him to stop without spanking him? I dont want to spank but he just will not listen and keeps screaming at me instead of calmly using his words. Then he constantly asks for things he cant have, so he pretty much never stops crying unless he is getting his way or gets temporarily sidetracked (like with the song on Movers right now)... Its just so frustrating and tiring... And DS gets me so mad that I end up snapping on DD for just asking a simple question. I always apologise to DD, she understands, but im also tired of her having to deal with and give in to her brother just to keep him from screaming at everyone, including herself. She is 4 btw.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Replies (21-21):
psuedonym
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Really quick suggestions (that you've probably tried) but I'll go for it anyway.

Only give two options when you are letting him choose. Only try to address one misbehaviour at a time when you are trying to change them, just prioritise them and work down the list. Never lose your cool. If he changes back and fourth, back and fourth, I would only respond to this once and then say NO and walk away. When they are so young and so anxious I personally think distraction is the best discipline technique. Perhaps make up a snack box for him and leave it where he can access it easily so he can make his own choices.

What about sensory overload issues? Has anyone suggested this might be applicable?

How old do children have to be to teach self soothing techniques to?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN