Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you be upset if your DH went back to work?

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you be upset if you DH/SO went back to work while you were still in the hospital after having a baby?

I understand sometimes people don't have a choice, but I have seen other times where new Dads are ready to leave the hospital even if mom and babe are not.

That is the case for a guy I work with. His wife was induced Friday night, however she didn't have the baby until early Sunday morning. He is back at work today. Since his wife had a c-section she still has another few days in the hospital.

Everyone on his team said they would cover things for him if he wanted to take the rest of the week off, but he said that he was ready to get out of the hospital for a while. He said that he will go see his new baby and wife during lunch and when he gets off later.

If I was his wife I would be pretty pissed right now. I know my ex husband went back to work the day before my son and I were realsed (we had to stay an extra day) and I was pissed. And I didn't even have a c-section, our son had digestive issues and he had to be monitored an extra day.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Replies (11-20):
girllovescamo
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM
I had a csection with my first, and need one again-in 4 weeks! Dh will be there the day I have her and go back to work the next day. My inlaws are coming to stay with our 7YO. He has been at his job for 10 months n they don't allow FMLA leave until 1year so they woulnt approve time off. I do think it sucks, but whatta do? Can't have a new baby and no income. Maybe your co worker doesn't have pto, or doesn't qualify for FMLA yet like my dh. Pretty hard to take time off work without pay for most people I would imagine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vegepunkstr
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

No I wouldnt. My DH wasnt even there when I had my youngest because he was out of state for work. When I had my oldest he would come and go from the hospital. Its not fun sitting there with not much to do so I dont blame him for wanting to leave.

vegepunkstr. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

raegansmom
by Cyndi on May. 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM
I was in the hospital 6 days when I delivered dd. dh left long enough to shower & change. He also took 2 weeks leave after dd was born to help out. Not sure how I would have felt if he would have left.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I would be upset. Thankfully, DH was with me through both of them. This last time with DS we were induced on a Thursday, so he only had to take Thursday and Friday off. And he went back the following Monday.

Buggy979
by Danette on May. 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM
My husband went to work the day after. I was home 24 hrs after giving birth but hey the bills still need to be paid and we eat so food is a must..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casah4
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I wouldn't mind. Newborns sleep a lot. There's only so much of sitting there staring at a sleeping baby in an uncomfortable enviornment one person can take.  I would much prefer he got out of there and show off pics to his coworkers, make some money, not fall behind on work, etc.

dsebastian23
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM

My husband went to work when I was in the hospital, he started his time off the day I left the hospital so three days after I had the baby. I see nothing wrong with it. I told him to cause I was being taken care of in the hospital. BTW this was our 4th child not our first rodeo....

louzannalady
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I would not! I would rather he put the time towards when I am home needing help after that kind of major surgery! The nurses are there to help me at the hospital, so I would be fine there. To be honest, with this next baby, I am pretty much waiting until I am crowning to go in and am leaving our very FIRST opportunity! I HATE hospitals! I HATE the way women are treating during labor and delivery in the US and just have no desire to be there any longer than I have to be- why would I expect DH to be in a place I don't even want to be?! Lol!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

WhipperWhirl
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Maybe she wanted him to leave. Maybe she wanted to get some extra sleep before being released and didn't want him there disturbing her. I wouldn't be upset if I was his wife. Maybe she wanted some alone time with baby to bond.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM
That happened to me and I didn't care. My FIL was in the hospital the entire month before I had DS. DH had his own business and was running FIL's while he was sick. There was nothing DH could do for me in the hospital so why not work? He came by every night and of course brought me and DS home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)