Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

May is Arthritis Awareness Month

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM
  • 25 Replies

Arthritis can affect anyone at any time even children. Also there are several different kinds of arthritis. I have RA which is rheumatoid arthritis and is an autoimmune disorder.  It is more than just the swelling and the pain though. The drugs taken for this are very harsh injections, infusions and immune suppressants leaving you open to get sick easier etc... Yet it doesn't get near the funding that it needs. 

I think it might be partly due to the belief that arthritis is an old persons disease and it's just a little swelling etc... 

I'm 34 and have only had this since i was 30 and this is the damage that has already been done. the pics are only of one each because i was taking the pics myself but both hands, feet etc... are swollen the same

bruising from the skin being stretched with the swelling

by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM

bump

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM

bump

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM

bump

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

bump

chickensmommy
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I have SLE....I agree, arthritis isn't just for old people :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cookie-kisses
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I got j.a at age 12.  Its a terrible thing

ceemuhreeashbee
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM
I just found out I have arthritis in my foot, and I'm supposed to start training for a 5K that's in September.

I'll be 24 this month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM
yup i work for a rheumatologist and i see it all the time. The babies make me sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM
I have arthritid in my knees, ankles, and thumbs, and i still exercise a lot and have just gotten to be able to run a mile, sometimes you just gotta go a little slower, im 26

Quoting ceemuhreeashbee:

I just found out I have arthritis in my foot, and I'm supposed to start training for a 5K that's in September.

I'll be 24 this month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I'm sorry. I've only had this for 4 years and it feels horrible for me though i know some people have it worse. I can't even imagine having it since being a child. I hope you have it under control.

i go to my rheumatologist friday and he said if i wasn't any better (it's actually worse) he was going to put me on a biologic probably embrel. the side effects are really scary though. Anyway I'm not looking forward to it but i'd do anything to feel better. I'm sad that i can't run after and play with my 4 and 8 year old like i'd like too. 

Quoting Cookie-kisses:

I got j.a at age 12.  Its a terrible thing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)