Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ugh! Standardized testing!!

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM
  • 43 Replies
Today is the start of the state testing for 2nd through 6th grade at my kids school. I really wish the school wouldn't make such a big deal of it my son is in second grade and was making himself physically sick this morning worrying about it. I sat him down and told him to relax and just try his best that it wasn't testing him it was testing how well his teacher did her job this year. He said he didn't learn about quotation marks yet so I explained to him how they work and told his this test would not affect his report card or anything and he just needed to try his best and read the questions carefully. Hopefully he will see that its not a big deal and be ok he had dirreah this morning he has a nervous tummy so hopefully I calmed him enough and he won't have a problem at school.
I understand to the school and teachers it is a big deal it determines the score the school as a whole gets but I don't think stressing the kids out about it is the way to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scperdomo
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM
I hate standardized testing. Sorry your little man isn't feeling well, I'm sure he will do great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM
I know he will do fine I just wish the school would play it down a bit. Yes we are taking a big test show up and do your best

Quoting scperdomo:

I hate standardized testing. Sorry your little man isn't feeling well, I'm sure he will do great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2knl
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!

My DD was freaking out yesterday because of her test today!! I feel so bad that they stress these kids out!! :(

bry36
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I personally think its a bunch of crap first off days and days of testing on young kids I can understand if it was a short test at the end of each quarter something like that but its all day and its so stressed about how important it is it upsets the kids . My son has ADHD and anixety disorder and a writing disorder and school is tough enough to get through just by itself let alone the extra pressure of these stupid test makes me feel so bad for them I wouls rather be able to say no hes not going to partake in them but they dont even give a child who has a disablity that option .

GaleJ
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I agree with you although I think we should do away with the tests completely rather than just down play them. They are the source of much, not all, of what's wrong with our education system and the sooner we dump them the better off our children will be. Testing doesn't work well to measure either what the children have learned or how well the teacher/school/district is doing in teaching them so there really isn't much point to any of it; the testing, the anxiety, the "teaching to the test," or the angst over the results.

ProudMom9799
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:34 PM

hope he feels better. my older son just finished 4 days of testing for the NJAsk. He was very happy when it was over but did enjoy the 4 days of no homework

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I know exactly what you mean. Our school even has a pep rally for crying out loud.

I know they're funding is based on this, but they literally suspend all other instruction, homework and various activities for the testing at our district.  They teach to the test, drill the students all in the hope they can keep their "Best in state" status.  I think it's cheating but what do I know?

I told ds not to even worry about his test results.  I said to look at those few days as a bit of a break from learning anything, relax and just do his best. 

crissydancer05
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:39 PM
i remember doing those myself and have anxiety just thinking about it again. Hope that by the time my kids are in school they arent around any longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM

And this is why I will opt my children out of it.

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM
They don't tell you but you can opt to not have your child take them! Also do they give him a modified test? my daughter had dyslexia and she takes all her state tests modified its still the same test just with a little extra help it can be as simple as fewer problems per page.

Quoting bry36:

I personally think its a bunch of crap first off days and days of testing on young kids I can understand if it was a short test at the end of each quarter something like that but its all day and its so stressed about how important it is it upsets the kids . My son has ADHD and anixety disorder and a writing disorder and school is tough enough to get through just by itself let alone the extra pressure of these stupid test makes me feel so bad for them I wouls rather be able to say no hes not going to partake in them but they dont even give a child who has a disablity that option .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)