Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, How do we make this decision? please vote

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: Buy a house by family or in the town you love far away from family??

Options:

Near Family in Seattle

Near family in Tennessee

Stay in Texas

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 72

View Results

We will start looking to buy a house within the year. We pretty much have our pick of any house we want. As many of you ladies know, this is a life-altering decision. We will live in the house we choose for the rest of our life and I want it to be a good life..

So how do we choose whether to buy in the town our family is in or in the town we like alot, but with no family? I don't want our children to grow up strangers from their cousins and grandparents. I want to see my mom and dad and siblings more often. I want to spend holidays with them.

But, I love where we live now. The pay is better here. The people are really great! There is so much life to be had here. But no family at all.

Please vote on what you think is the best option. Especially if you have experience with this dilemma and buying a home.

Husband's family lives in Seattle (beautiful city). My family in Tennesse (I don't like Tennessee but my family is there). We love it here in Texas but no family and all alone.

10 year old and 3 month old...it doesn't get any better than this!big smile mini

by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I say stay where you are. You can always visit family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom416
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I say Texas but im from there.Right now im in everett wa,not far from seattle,i hate it here.The cost of living is through the roof,its rainy and gloomy just about all the time.Moving to Seattle is asking for depression to set in.If your prone to depression i would advise against moving here.Tennesse is beautiful,cost of living is decent and you get all 4 seasons.Here in Washington(depends were you live) we only get winter and summer,summer only last about 2 months.Do some resaerch on the rain shadow up here.Our local news says things like"sun patches" to describe our weather and a lot of companies give the day off when its nice because we dont get really nice days to often.If you are use to sun and being outside you will disappointed here.

Due9
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

BUMP!

Due9
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Excellent advice! I am prone to depression and I don't want to do anything to disturb "it". I guess Seattle is nice for a few day visit only :)

I bet you miss Texas. This place is aaaamazing!

Quoting singlemom416:

I say Texas but im from there.Right now im in everett wa,not far from seattle,i hate it here.The cost of living is through the roof,its rainy and gloomy just about all the time.Moving to Seattle is asking for depression to set in.If your prone to depression i would advise against moving here.Tennesse is beautiful,cost of living is decent and you get all 4 seasons.Here in Washington(depends were you live) we only get winter and summer,summer only last about 2 months.Do some resaerch on the rain shadow up here.Our local news says things like"sun patches" to describe our weather and a lot of companies give the day off when its nice because we dont get really nice days to often.If you are use to sun and being outside you will disappointed here.

10 year old and 3 month old...it doesn't get any better than this!big smile mini

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

That is really something personal so I won't vote.

I personally think being with family is priceless. Family is the one rock to rely on when everything else is changing. It's the one rock that you know will be there to celebrate holidays with and be able to drop in for a barbeque or whatever.

I live houses from my parents and I wouldn't have it any other way and I feel it's my obligation to make sure my kids know their grandparents and family and not just as some old people we see every year or so.

singlemom416
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I do miss Texas sooo much.We are moving back there after my husbands nexty duty station.We have family there and we can afford a house there.Right now we are paying 1,500a month for a 1200sq ft town home,neighborhood sucks.Since we have been here my dd and my self had to go on anti depressants.

Quoting Due9:

Excellent advice! I am prone to depression and I don't want to do anything to disturb "it". I guess Seattle is nice for a few day visit only :)

Quoting singlemom416:

nebcutie
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM
3 moms liked this
I put texas. You said you are happy there better pay and just all around a great place. So pick a house with lots of space for guests and plan a few reunions at your place then plan a few trips to the home towns. Let the kids skype with family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM

It's good you are coming back here to TX. I hope you'll be strong and in there until the move. Where in Tx? guessing Killeen since your dh is military. I'm in S. Arlington.

Quoting singlemom416:

I do miss Texas sooo much.We are moving back there after my husbands nexty duty station.We have family there and we can afford a house there.Right now we are paying 1,500a month for a 1200sq ft town home,neighborhood sucks.Since we have been here my dd and my self had to go on anti depressants.

Quoting Due9:

Quoting singlemom416:

jmgarzamom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM
I love Texas but I know what you me about family. I have never lived out side of TX but I did move 60 miles from my mom and that is too far. I also have family 300 miles away and know all too well how visits don't come around enough. But in the end you have to remember do what makes you and your family happy. Its your life and your family is all that matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Stay where you are happy because you will probably regret it. You can visit family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN