Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

ok i get that i went over budget, but SERIOUSLY (vent i've made before lol)

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 39 Replies

i went $30 over my grocery budget today... it's not like i broke the bank, we HAVE THE MONEY!!!

but prices have been going up a lot and last shopping trip in my effort to stay in budget i ended up with less food then we NEEDED and ended up eating out a bit totalling much more then that so while my hubs might be pissed it was necessary...

but he doesn't see it that way!!! even though anytime he goes shpping with me we end up going over $100 over budget!!! he's still mad..

sometimes i just want to hit him over the head with a shovel until he shuts up and just trusts my judgement!!

and yes i am avery carefull shopper, i utilize sales and buy pretty much only generic unless there is an amazing deal on name brand, and i cut just about every corner i can. i make my own detergent, i cook from scratch mostly, i do not by unnesesary treats or goodies, no sodas or chips, i maticulously by NEEDS, to save money and also make sure we are eating a healthy well balance diet.. and DH is doing weight wtchers which is an added expense that i can't avoid

revengeSiggy

by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM
I use cash for groceries. No way to go over. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
razmatazthespaz
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:10 PM

thats an idea, but it hink i would just run into the problem i had last trip where i just didn't get enough food....

and there is SOME wiggle room in my budget, but according to DH $30 is just too much.....

Quoting mommytoeandb:

I use cash for groceries. No way to go over. ;)

peasterpeach
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM
I se only cash too. I also coupon and it helps a ton! How big is your family and what is your budget?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peasterpeach
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM
*use

Quoting peasterpeach:

I se only cash too. I also coupon and it helps a ton! How big is your family and what is your budget?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM

We finally made a buget after 3 years of spending as we pleased and then realizing later that our priorities were all messed up. Anyway, this next shopping trip we will be using cash for the first time. DH does most the cooking (yay) so he uses and IPAD app to plan meals and make a shopping list, we spend much less that way. But yeah, $30 is not bad as long as your budget has some wiggle room.

poeticrose09
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

My hubby was the same way until I sat him down with the reciepts each time and went look here is what I bought for me specifically meaning nothing and what we bought for dinners and such and he like well why did you go over until I pointed out the junk he kept putting into my cart without adding it to the budget and I'm like your the one that its this so stop getting mad at me or I'm gunna start getting mad at you every time you go out to eat and buy a lot of food. We can afford it but still it irks me

DixieL
by Dixie on May. 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

You are doing everything you can to save. I would have no idea how to make my own detergent. The easy way to get him to shut up is by saying shut the hell up if you think you can do better be my guest, you do the grocery shopping. Most men don't like to shop so if anything will shut him up that will

WrapNLoseInches
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM

yes i agree.. add some coupons in there.. it doesnt have to be a whole lot of anything and you dont have to stock pile.. BUT if you CAN then do! It helps me cut out a lot of things from my monthly grocery budget because i have left overs from last shopping trip!

I would die if i went 30$ over budget.. NOT for financial reasons.. but because my math would have been sooo wrong! I make 2 trips! I make my list, then go, write down retial price of everything I need. so i have my MAX budget. Then, I go home match my sales ads, and coupons to it, and add it up for my minimum budget. I always take the MAX with me, and usually spend just over my minimum (in case i have to supplement if somethings out of stock)

however i live 1 mile from my store.. so its not an extra expense for me to do so. AND i use a spreadsheet for all of my trips!

#.item. retail. sale. coupon. total are my headers.

2x .crest toothpaste 4oz+.. 2.39.. 1.00...50x2..free (x2 because it doubles)

1x. sunny delight 32oz+..2.49..1.99...75x2....99 (.75x2 double to a dollar)

so i would have spent 7.27 retail... 3.99 sale price... and .99 after coupons for all 3 items.

razmatazthespaz
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM

i coupon a little, but DH has very specific ideas of what foods NEED to be in the house and for the most part i just can't find coupons that fit my list.... and we do lots of fresh produce and a certain amount of meat in each meal.... if i had more control over the menu i could save a ton.... but the budget every two weeks is $200 for a family of 4 plus a roommate, so 5. and DS is still in diapers...

Quoting peasterpeach:

razmatazthespaz
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

i do some couponing, but we only have store option and it's 20 minutes away.... so that hurts our budget a bit

Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

yes i agree.. add some coupons in there.. it doesnt have to be a whole lot of anything and you dont have to stock pile.. BUT if you CAN then do! It helps me cut out a lot of things from my monthly grocery budget because i have left overs from last shopping trip!

I would die if i went 30$ over budget.. NOT for financial reasons.. but because my math would have been sooo wrong! I make 2 trips! I make my list, then go, write down retial price of everything I need. so i have my MAX budget. Then, I go home match my sales ads, and coupons to it, and add it up for my minimum budget. I always take the MAX with me, and usually spend just over my minimum (in case i have to supplement if somethings out of stock)

however i live 1 mile from my store.. so its not an extra expense for me to do so. AND i use a spreadsheet for all of my trips!

#.item. retail. sale. coupon. total are my headers.

2x .crest toothpaste 4oz+.. 2.39.. 1.00...50x2..free (x2 because it doubles)

1x. sunny delight 32oz+..2.49..1.99...75x2....99 (.75x2 double to a dollar)

so i would have spent 7.27 retail... 3.99 sale price... and .99 after coupons for all 3 items.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)