Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A teacher accused....

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 29 Replies

How do you feel about this.
did she mean well? or was it completely wrong?

http://www.baby-gaga.com/outbound.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2012%2F04%2F30%2Fsc-teacher-facing-charges_0_n_1465762.html%3Fncid%3Dedlinkusaolp00000009&post_id=49398898

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A middle school teacher in South Carolina has been accused of dragging a student under a table during class, telling the boy "this is what the Nazis do to Jews," police said Monday.
The 12-year-old student said he got up to sharpen a pencil at Bluffton Middle School on Wednesday when Patricia Mulholland grabbed him by his collar and said, "come here, Jew," police said. The teacher then dragged him 10 feet under a table and made the comment about Nazis, according to police.
The seventh-grade teacher claims she was trying to teach the students a lesson about the Holocaust. The social studies teacher had a lesson on the Holocaust the day before.
"What was a demonstrative attempt to teach about World War II and the Holocaust has been taken to mean an anti-Semitic rant and it was nothing like that," said her attorney, Robert Ferguson.
Mulholland was arrested and faces charges of assault and battery and public disorderly conduct, Bluffton Police spokesman Lt. Joe Babkiewicz said.
Ferguson said Mulholland is a well-regarded teacher and hasn't had any problems during her 23-year career with Beaufort County schools.
"This is such a sensitive topic. But what do you determine is instructive teaching? Where is that line?" Ferguson said.
School district officials said Mulholland was placed on administrative leave Thursday. The district is sharing any information it has with police and will conduct its own investigation once the criminal probe is finished.
Police would not identify the student and refused to say whether he was Jewish.
Bluffton is located along the coast in the southeastern part of the state.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Beloved.
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

BUMP!

mes_deux_amours
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM
If she's telling the truth that she Eas just trying to teach a lesson, it wasn't well thought out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingwifey
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM
I would say out of line and she's using it as an excuse.
mandylin3
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Wow.  I don't really know what to think.  My initial reaction is that the teacher shouldn't put her hands on any student, much less drag him around.  I think it was way too much.  

This story made me think of another story that happened in my area.  A teacher had a "slave aucion" when she was teaching about slavery.  That was a very controversial topic, too.

mandylin3
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM

slave "auction" not save "aucion" lol

Quoting mandylin3:

Wow.  I don't really know what to think.  My initial reaction is that the teacher shouldn't put her hands on any student, much less drag him around.  I think it was way too much.  

This story made me think of another story that happened in my area.  A teacher had a "slave aucion" when she was teaching about slavery.  That was a very controversial topic, too.

hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 1, 2012 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm I'm torn on the subject. If she is telling the truth, which considering her teaching record I wouldn't doubt, I think it may have crossed some lines. However I understand the importance of the subject, and demonstrative teaching. In that regard I don't see the huge deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I don't see an issue with what she did really, unless I just read it wrong..

kansasmom1978
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I think more than likely she was trying to demonstrate what the Jews went through. Although she probably should have used a different example. Perhaps a doll or something. I think she did not mean anything by it and was not trying to insult anyone.

TheMrs407
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't sound like the teacher and the child have the same story.  I do think bit of controversy can be good, but everyone involved has to know what is going on. If you choose to single out a student as an example, you need to know that student well enough and they you enough to know that they will trust you to continue to have their best interest and that it is only a lesson, not an attack.

vgmomof2grtkds
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I wouldn't want anyone putting their hands on my child.  I would have sued her as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)