Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you feel about this.
did she mean well? or was it completely wrong?

http://www.baby-gaga.com/outbound.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2012%2F04%2F30%2Fsc-teacher-facing-charges_0_n_1465762.html%3Fncid%3Dedlinkusaolp00000009&post_id=49398898

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A middle school teacher in South Carolina has been accused of dragging a student under a table during class, telling the boy "this is what the Nazis do to Jews," police said Monday.
The 12-year-old student said he got up to sharpen a pencil at Bluffton Middle School on Wednesday when Patricia Mulholland grabbed him by his collar and said, "come here, Jew," police said. The teacher then dragged him 10 feet under a table and made the comment about Nazis, according to police.
The seventh-grade teacher claims she was trying to teach the students a lesson about the Holocaust. The social studies teacher had a lesson on the Holocaust the day before.
"What was a demonstrative attempt to teach about World War II and the Holocaust has been taken to mean an anti-Semitic rant and it was nothing like that," said her attorney, Robert Ferguson.
Mulholland was arrested and faces charges of assault and battery and public disorderly conduct, Bluffton Police spokesman Lt. Joe Babkiewicz said.
Ferguson said Mulholland is a well-regarded teacher and hasn't had any problems during her 23-year career with Beaufort County schools.
"This is such a sensitive topic. But what do you determine is instructive teaching? Where is that line?" Ferguson said.
School district officials said Mulholland was placed on administrative leave Thursday. The district is sharing any information it has with police and will conduct its own investigation once the criminal probe is finished.
Police would not identify the student and refused to say whether he was Jewish.
Bluffton is located along the coast in the southeastern part of the state.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
Crashly
by WINNING! on May. 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Ok... So many thoughts here. 1) putting your hands on a student for any reason is wrong. 2) is she maybe losing her marbles???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on May. 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Doesn't sound like the best thought out lesson...

I've been through a well planned lesson about the Holocaust and never did anyone feel like we had to report it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyndiesmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
How stupid this world is becoming. I don't see any harm in what she did, she was TEACHING! I'm so sick of parents and their craziness and all the sue happy people. She didn't hurt the kid. Real people endured far worse than that during the holocaust! You can't really teach children in the schools anything anymore because you have parents in your face interfering all the time! Parents need to get over themselves! Vent over
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Scarlette12
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I would totally love this teacher, I like hands on action when it comes to teaching... I had a teacher who did stuff like this to show us how life was for other people.. I had so much fun, I don't know why parents flip out if a teacher does this, obliviously the student hated her and wanted her fire or something.. Students these days will cry wolf all the time, I seen it happen at my school many times....

-KC-
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Quoting lovingwifey:

I would say out of line and she's using it as an excuse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
couponluv72
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:24 AM

that is way over the top, she went too far and is paying the price. what a foolish thing to do as a teacher

Piskie
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:28 AM
I learnt a lot at school, and you know what? Never once did a teacher physically assault me, or randomly single me out and insult me.
There are ways of doing things that don't leave kids singled out and physically assaulted.

Quoting kyndiesmommy:

How stupid this world is becoming. I don't see any harm in what she did, she was TEACHING! I'm so sick of parents and their craziness and all the sue happy people. She didn't hurt the kid. Real people endured far worse than that during the holocaust! You can't really teach children in the schools anything anymore because you have parents in your face interfering all the time! Parents need to get over themselves! Vent over

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiowaqueen
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:33 AM
Wow....if it is true she still has no right to put her hands on anyones shirt ! and plus she should have asked for a volunteer.... not just grab any student getting up....IDk.. crazy...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:47 AM
Definitely a lapse in judgement considering her teaching history. I wouldn't be happy if my child came home with this story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stockuponlove
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:52 AM
I think she was trying to make the children see what went on. It was a simple learning lesson. If the children knew about it and it was performed as a class activity then it would lose the serious effect. But because she surprised them it made them see how the holocaust was. I don't see anything wrong with what she did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)