Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sugary drinks

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:20 PM
  • 19 Replies

I was reading an article today that said one of the main culprits contributing to childhood obesity is sugary drinks. My kids get milk (sometimes chocolate milk but that's maybe once a week), and water. The only time they get juice or pop (always uncaffeinated) is when they go to bday parties for their friends. I have never given them Kool-Aid and they have never had it anywhere else to my knowledge. They have also never had lemonade, SunnyD, Hawaiian punch, or any other "juice" that is mostly sugar water. I don't have a problem with them but I don't like them for myself so I don't buy it. What do you think of the blame being put on sugary drinks? Is it all okay in moderation?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on May. 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM
We love sugar over here. None of us are overweight either. It has to do with many factors. Genetics do play a role.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malissaL
by Malissa on May. 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I think they are fine in moderation for ACTIVE children. 

Kids who sit in school all day are not active. There needs to be some kind of physical activity after school that counts. 

camdenp10
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I think it is mostly about moderation. My son is 18 months old and he gets a little juice daily. But no more than about 3 ozs. He gets water, milk, and 100% fruit/veggie juices. I do not give him kool-aid or sodas or anything. As he gets older, I may let him try them, but not just guzzle them down.

Moderation is not just limited to sugary drinks. It involves food too. I think that is the biggest culprit for obesity.

davnrori
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I was thinking too. A lot of it has to do with diet and kids not getting enough exercise. There's barely any outdoor recess at school anymore! There are also a lot of households where both parents work and the kids aren't getting outside as much. I remember drinking Kool-Aid like it was water when I was a kid and my brother and sister too and we were never overweight.

Quoting bmw29:

We love sugar over here. None of us are overweight either. It has to do with many factors. Genetics do play a role.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM

My kids rarely even get "100% fruit juice" as there is little of the actual nutrition of fruit in there anyway and it is essentially sugar water too.

Kool Aid is totally out for us because of the artificial dye.

My kids choose water 99% of the time anyway and I do make some homemade sodas for a treat every now and then(lemon lime is a favorite)

I make lavender lemonade a few times during the summer when lavender is abundant.

I do think ALOT of weight problems are worsened by(not necessarily due to) drinking our calories. Not just kids. 

Of course in moderation it is ok, but I think many people have a misconception of what moderation even is. 

momma2b2008
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:27 PM
My daughter drinks mostly juice, granted it's extreemly watered down juice, but it's all she drinks. Although here lately she had been better about drinking water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Sugar causes weight gain. 

momtolittleg
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I grew up on sugar. I drank Pepsi from a sippy cup and lived off koolaid in the summer. I don't recall ever drinking plain water unless I gulped it from the pool. I've never been obese or even overweight, and was a skinny thing as a kid. Come to think of it, I ate processed junk as a kid, too. There are SO many factors that go into it, you can't just blame a category of beverages for obesity.
singlemom1208
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM
All things in moderation. There are many factors that play into childhood obesity
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
davnrori
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:32 PM

What is 'lavender lemonade'? That sounds so delicious!! I only drink two types of beverages during an average day- water and coffee. I used to be a Diet Coke addict but got scared of what the acid in the drink might be doing to the can and what I was actually drinking. This happened about 6 months ago. I don't drink juice, never have. I would rather eat my fruits and veg than drink them- so much better that way. I agree with you, I think people would be surprised at what moderation is, lol.

Quoting SuperPickle:

My kids rarely even get "100% fruit juice" as there is little of the actual nutrition of fruit in there anyway and it is essentially sugar water too.

Kool Aid is totally out for us because of the artificial dye.

My kids choose water 99% of the time anyway and I do make some homemade sodas for a treat every now and then(lemon lime is a favorite)

I make lavender lemonade a few times during the summer when lavender is abundant.

I do think ALOT of weigh problems are worsened by drinking our calories. Not just kids. 

Of course in moderation it is ok, but I think many people have a misconception of what moderation even is. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)