Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What is the most epic thing that has ever happened to you?

For me? It's being mistakenly declared dead. Thankfully, I wasn't "dead" for long. The only thing I remember clearly is the look on the nurse's face when I came to. She turned whiter than my bedsheets.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Replies (21-30):
HelloKitty86
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Eh, I knew it would happen.  I had gotten pregnant 3 other times despite proper use of BC, so it was kind of expected lol.

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Wow! That had to be a shock!

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Getting pregnant after a tubal ligation...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
P.V.Hawkwind
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Quoting Earth_Mama90:

I don't think anything. Other than my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beautisticaware
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:54 AM
having an epidural that made me go numb from the neck down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TamlynM2B
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Surving two wrecks in four days both of which should have killed me

sherry132
by Sherry on May. 2, 2012 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I had the flu but didn't realize it was the flu. We moved from Oklahoma to Kentucky. In the move I got over tired etc and developed pneumonia in my lower right lung and in the upper part of both lungs. We moved into a horrible little apartment that apparently had a mold problem, but it was supposed to be only for a few weeks until we had a house. Anyway, it was bitterly cold, snowing and sleeting, and I had to get the kids to school. I got behind a truck with bad exhaust and was breathing that in. With the pneumonia and the flu, I couldn't actually smell it but was trying to take deep breaths because my lungs weren't getting enough oxygen. 

I took my daughter to school and my son and I went to Burger Kind so I could get him breakfast. While I was there the manager suggested I go directly to the hospital which was across the street from Burger King. I took my son to school, 8 miles from the hospital, and then decided I really needed to be checked. On the way I was breathing exhaust from another vehicle again. By the time I walked in the ER I collapsed. My right lung was seized completely open and full of carbon dioxide. My left lung was only working at 60%. 

They rush around and load me on a gurney and rush me back. Before they could get me on the table, I passed out completely. There was a lot of yelling and I could tell people were freaking out. There was beeping too, a horrible long beep that they wouldn't shut off. Then it got real quiet. Just this wonderful warm peace. I was so happy there in that peace and love. 

Then I felt the shock, the pain, them pushing on my chest. Then I felt the peace again. Just when I thought I could finally rest, the next shock came again. Someone was yelling my name. I heard my ribs crack, I felt the needle go in my chest, I wanted to scream but couldn't get a breath to scream. Everything was spinning, and spinning, and I wanted so badly to go back to the peace, where I didn't hurt. 

When I finally got that breath I felt like I had been robbed. I was so angry. In those minutes, I never had a thought about my kids, parents, husband, no one. I just wanted to be in that peace. I've been fighting death my whole life. I don't want to fight anymore. I have felt that peace. I just don't want to fight dying anymore. 

Quoting Earth_Mama90:

What happened if u don't mind me asking

Quoting sherry132:

Actually being dead for more than three minutes. They had to resuscitate me twice that day. They almost called it when I took a real weak breath on my own.

You'd think I would be grateful but if anyone allows the doctors to use paddles or does CPR on me again, I'm going to get even when I get over the broken ribs and sternum. 

Aria12
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM
Sounds like a good man..... treat him right, or someone else will..... r u a stay at home mom? Do u cook n clean?

Quoting Earth_Mama90:

I'm gonna have to say my df. I'm not trying to be corny but we met and had a child young and he's never left me. He is there with me through everything no matter how angry and hurtful I am to him. He pays for everything while I'm just a lazy sahm. He is a pretty epic part of my life

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Dang I dunno.

So many cool things.  I should have died in so many accidents but didn't.  Being able to tell people about them is fun.  

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on May. 2, 2012 at 1:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Earth_Mama90
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:01 AM
Sounds like a pretty awesome story. I'm glad u lived for your kids but i would be angry as well if I felt that euphoria and came back.to pain

Quoting sherry132:

I had the flu but didn't realize it was the flu. We moved from Oklahoma to Kentucky. In the move I got over tired etc and developed pneumonia in my lower right lung and in the upper part of both lungs. We moved into a horrible little apartment that apparently had a mold problem, but it was supposed to be only for a few weeks until we had a house. Anyway, it was bitterly cold, snowing and sleeting, and I had to get the kids to school. I got behind a truck with bad exhaust and was breathing that in. With the pneumonia and the flu, I couldn't actually smell it but was trying to take deep breaths because my lungs weren't getting enough oxygen. 

I took my daughter to school and my son and I went to Burger Kind so I could get him breakfast. While I was there the manager suggested I go directly to the hospital which was across the street from Burger King. I took my son to school, 8 miles from the hospital, and then decided I really needed to be checked. On the way I was breathing exhaust from another vehicle again. By the time I walked in the ER I collapsed. My right lung was seized completely open and full of carbon dioxide. My left lung was only working at 60%. 

They rush around and load me on a gurney and rush me back. Before they could get me on the table, I passed out completely. There was a lot of yelling and I could tell people were freaking out. There was beeping too, a horrible long beep that they wouldn't shut off. Then it got real quiet. Just this wonderful warm peace. I was so happy there in that peace and love. 

Then I felt the shock, the pain, them pushing on my chest. Then I felt the peace again. Just when I thought I could finally rest, the next shock came again. Someone was yelling my name. I heard my ribs crack, I felt the needle go in my chest, I wanted to scream but couldn't get a breath to scream. Everything was spinning, and spinning, and I wanted so badly to go back to the peace, where I didn't hurt. 

When I finally got that breath I felt like I had been robbed. I was so angry. In those minutes, I never had a thought about my kids, parents, husband, no one. I just wanted to be in that peace. I've been fighting death my whole life. I don't want to fight anymore. I have felt that peace. I just don't want to fight dying anymore. 

Quoting Earth_Mama90:

Quoting sherry132:

Actually being dead for more than three minutes. They had to resuscitate me twice that day. They almost called it when I took a real weak breath on my own.

You'd think I would be grateful but if anyone allows the doctors to use paddles or does CPR on me again, I'm going to get even when I get over the broken ribs and sternum. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Sherry on May. 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I'm glad I'm here too, but yah, I don't wanna go through all again. 

Quoting Earth_Mama90:

Sounds like a pretty awesome story. I'm glad u lived for your kids but i would be angry as well if I felt that euphoria and came back.to pain

Quoting sherry132:

Quoting Earth_Mama90:

Quoting sherry132:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)