Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Breastfeeding and Pumping question.

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:58 AM
  • 29 Replies
How is it recomended to go about pumping and breast feeding?

At the moment I am pumping from one side and then an hour or so later I am posing from the same side.
But I'm starting to think I should feed from side A and them pump side B?? Maybe??? What's a better way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmilyMarshall
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:01 AM
bump

epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Feed from side A pump on side B, switch off at the next nursing session.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jrp0606
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM
How old is baby? And what are you pumping for? Are you going back to work or just trying to get extra bottles so someone else can do an occasional feed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Ok now how would I start that? Like just don't next time she feeds?? Since I have already done it feed one pump same one already today? Is that going to be a problem

Quoting epoh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Baby is a week old today. I am pumping to make sure my supply is enough; so dad can feed her and so of dh and I wanna do dinner I know she's getting bm.
I am a sahm
So thankfully no worries about going back to work

Quoting jrp0606:

How old is baby? And what are you pumping for? Are you going back to work or just trying to get extra bottles so someone else can do an occasional feed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM
However you'd like. :) it won't really matter how you do it.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Ok now how would I start that? Like just don't next time she feeds?? Since I have already done it feed one pump same one already today? Is that going to be a problem

Quoting epoh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Ok thank you
So she's feeding now, when she's done I should pump from this same side. I am going to give it a try.

Quoting epoh:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Quoting epoh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM
I always did it at the same time to make my life a little easier. It may take a bit to adjust to pumping while nursing though.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Ok thank you

So she's feeding now, when she's done I should pump from this same side. I am going to give it a try.

Quoting epoh:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Quoting epoh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jrp0606
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok I would wait until your supply and breastfeeding is established before pumping. Pumping this early can confuse your body into thinking it needs to make more than it needs and leads to other problems like over active letdown, clogged ducts and even mastitis.

There is no reason to EVER pump unless you want to as long as you feed baby on demand you will make enough milk.

I understand wanting dad to help and feel involved but introducing a bottle too early can cause nipple confusion it is important at this age to just focus on getting the breastfeeding relationship established. Dad can be involved in lots of other ways. Babies need lovin rockin holdin bathing changing bouncing kissing walking burping not just feeding. Dad can be involved in lots of places while you focus on creating a good breastfeeding relationship
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I would love to be able to do that but I don't want to overwhelm myself. Lol one step at a time. I def wanna give it a shot I just want to feel like I have a better handle on nursing too

Quoting epoh:

I always did it at the same time to make my life a little easier. It may take a bit to adjust to pumping while nursing though.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Ok thank you

Quoting epoh:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Quoting epoh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)