Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Smoking vs. Tanning

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM
  • 29 Replies

We all know they are both super bad for you...so why, in most states, can young teens still UV tan but but buying cigarettes is illegal? Melanoma will kill you just as surely as lung cancer. Other types of skin cancer that aren't as deadly as melanoma are certainly disfiguring. I'm thinking about the commercials that are playing in my state right now that show the effects of smoking (lung cancer patients, stroke patients, people with STOMA's) but no one is showing the effects of over exposure to UV rays (except Jersey Shore and they make it seem 'cool'). Thoughts?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Agreed-but in FL you have to be 18 or have a parent sign an authorization form.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tammylynn36
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Lots of things are no good for us but their all legal and companies and government  make lots of money on it so you don't hear about it. I love  to hear people tell me i should quit smoking so I don't die from it . My reply:

Why don't you stop eating and breathing before you die from it.  

If people only understood more of what is in the air they breathe and the food they eat! 

glam.fairy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I don't think minors should be able to go to tanning salons either. There should be an age limit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Minors can't tan here. I do see your point. I tanned as a teen. Even joked about lauing in "the cancer coffin". I didn't realize how serious it could be and was in the "not me" phase.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraedynsMom414
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM
3 moms liked this
Egh. You take a risk of dieing just waking up everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I agree there is a lot out there killing us. But why add more on top?

Quoting tammylynn36:

Lots of things are no good for us but their all legal and companies and government  make lots of money on it so you don't hear about it. I love  to hear people tell me i should quit smoking so I don't die from it . My reply:

Why don't you stop eating and breathing before you die from it.  

If people only understood more of what is in the air they breathe and the food they eat! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmama411
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Look up some stats. Cigs kill people, thousands of people, daily. The number of people killed by cancer linked to tobacco use is crazy. It outweighs any other cancer or kind of cancer. There are many things like tanning beds that cause cancer, but cigs are in their own league. Nothing compares.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM

because the cosmetic lobbyists are bigger/stronger/more effective than the tobacco lobbyists?

ProudMom9799
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

A mom in Jersey was just arrested for taking her 5yr old into a tanning booth with her.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/five-year-old_girl_suffers_bur.html

3isgreat
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM
I guess if u can't tan u can't go outside in the sun... Sun causes skin cancer to and there's no age limit on that.... The one that gets me is at 18 your considered an adult you can vote... Go to war..... Buy cigarettes ... But not alcohol... Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)