Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

We all know they are both super bad for you...so why, in most states, can young teens still UV tan but but buying cigarettes is illegal? Melanoma will kill you just as surely as lung cancer. Other types of skin cancer that aren't as deadly as melanoma are certainly disfiguring. I'm thinking about the commercials that are playing in my state right now that show the effects of smoking (lung cancer patients, stroke patients, people with STOMA's) but no one is showing the effects of over exposure to UV rays (except Jersey Shore and they make it seem 'cool'). Thoughts?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on May. 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM
I think minors atleast need parental consent to tan. I have only tanned like 4 times and I think I had to get my mom tp sign a something. But that was 10 years ago
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaroGreenly
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Topical melanoma is very treatable. It's only once it metastasizes that it's deadly.

Stage 1 melanoma has a 97% survival rate at 5 years. Stage 1 lung cancer has a 31% survival rate for small cell and a 49% survival rate for non-small cell.

So no, they're not really the same thing. Melanoma has to get to IIIC before it has a survival rate as low as stage 1 lung cancer.

art.diva
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I think both are idiotic, but I think that cigarettes are more dangerous due to the fact that it's addictive, it affects more than just the smoker, and it's not something most people do only a few times a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fallenangel_353
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Oh wow, I didnt know some states had an age requirement for tanning, like seriously no clue.

aMarieT
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM

because a teen in a tanning booth will not have a negative effect on her friend sitting next to her

here in Utah a law was recently passed that bans kids from tanning booths

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Quoting kitty8199:

I agree there is a lot out there killing us. But why add more on top?

Quoting tammylynn36:

Lots of things are no good for us but their all legal and companies and government  make lots of money on it so you don't hear about it. I love  to hear people tell me i should quit smoking so I don't die from it . My reply:

Why don't you stop eating and breathing before you die from it.  

If people only understood more of what is in the air they breathe and the food they eat! 

I watched someone who had COPD from smoking go to breathing with a O2 tank 24/7 and eventually die from pneumonia.  She could barely walk from the house to her car without getting very short of breath.  I have an aunt who can barely get around her house because she has COPD.  I agree with you about the food we eat and the air we breathe but emphysea (sp) just seems like a crappy way to die.  It's a rather slow death.  I'm not going to tell you to quit smoking but I'm just saying what I personally have seen.

Hecate9
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM
And yet pot is still illegal...smdh...and it actually kills cancer cells, but we don't want big pharmacy losing out on it customers...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Topical melanoma is very treatable. It's only once it metastasizes that it's deadly.

Stage 1 melanoma has a 97% survival rate at 5 years. Stage 1 lung cancer has a 31% survival rate for small cell and a 49% survival rate for non-small cell.

So no, they're not really the same thing. Melanoma has to get to IIIC before it has a survival rate as low as stage 1 lung cancer.

I personally never much saw the point of either tanning or tanning booths.  Sitting in the hot sun all day seemed stupid, especially in Florida where it's easy to get sunstroke and heatstroke.  I've had sunstroke, it isn't funny.  If animals are smart enough to get in the shade then we should be too.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I've had a patient die on me literally mid sentence. She was in for respiratory distress. I was starting an IV and she coded. She was a smoker and had COPD.

Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting kitty8199:

I agree there is a lot out there killing us. But why add more on top?

Quoting tammylynn36:

Lots of things are no good for us but their all legal and companies and government  make lots of money on it so you don't hear about it. I love  to hear people tell me i should quit smoking so I don't die from it . My reply:

Why don't you stop eating and breathing before you die from it.  

If people only understood more of what is in the air they breathe and the food they eat! 

I watched someone who had COPD from smoking go to breathing with a O2 tank 24/7 and eventually die from pneumonia.  She could barely walk from the house to her car without getting very short of breath.  I have an aunt who can barely get around her house because she has COPD.  I agree with you about the food we eat and the air we breathe but emphysea (sp) just seems like a crappy way to die.  It's a rather slow death.  I'm not going to tell you to quit smoking but I'm just saying what I personally have seen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Quoting ProudMom9799:

A mom in Jersey was just arrested for taking her 5yr old into a tanning booth with her.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/five-year-old_girl_suffers_bur.html

She looks absolutely disgusting. Ew. Just ew.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)