Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

In light of the fuss that was made over Jessica Simpson's and Beyonce's baby names..

Posted by   + Show Post

I thought I would post this again :-)

Things to remember when naming your kid

First of all....This is just jokes, mamas, just jokes....so if you are in a pissy mood don't take it out on me. I really don't care what you name your kids

B. This is not to offend anyone...if you have done or are thinking about breaking any of these rules don't take it personally....again just jokes mamas, just jokes

and lastly.....have fun....loosen up that sens of humor muscle.... now if you read and understood all that you may continue

1. This only applies the English (American) Names.....the English language has rules.....some letters can be replaced, "I", "y" and "e" are often interchangeable as are "ph" and "f"...they make the same sounds....However you can't use ALL the letters interchangeably...."h" and "d" don't make the same sound...they just don't ...and no matter how many times you say it or spell it that way they never will

2. If your child's last name is a verb, such as Walker, Ryder, or Driver, you might not want to the first name to be an adverb or noun. Examples: Mercedes Driver, Calvery Ryder, Rain Walker

3. Blending two (or more names) Not all names can be blended...for example...my name is Ebony...my husband's name is Bryan.....there is no way in hell we can mix those names....Eboan??? Bryany??? Nope ...so just think that thru before you do that

4. I am all for naming kids after states, or countries, or continents but I would suggest making it the first name instead of the middle name or your kid may sound like a town....ex. Michael Indiana, Katie Georgia, Bryan North Dakota (ok I took that one a little far)

5. If you decide to name your kids using a theme that is awesome...however think about how many kids you plan on having and how many names you can come up with using that theme....The Duggars are a perfect example....those people are going to run out of "j" names and I don't care what any of you say

6. Nature names- these are also awesome. Now as cute as it sounds it is not always the best idea to turn your kids name into a weather report......ex. Sunny Sky, April Rain, Cloudy with a Chance of Rain (ok I went too far again)

7. I know as women many of us had names picked out for our kids before we even hit puberty....however once you actually become pregnant take into account what the kid's last name will be....no matter how much you like the name Harry if the kids last name is going to be Dick or Palm, please don't do it

8. Naming Kids after inanimate objects - yes people do this...no I don't have a problem with it...but I will say there are some objects...like "Door" for example may sound better in a foreign language such as Puerta. Just let your kid know what their name means in the other language

9. Naming daughters after fathers and sons after mothers is a wonderful thing ....Will and Jada Smith did it. Their son...Jayden....Their daughter....Willow. Beautiful names....But if Daddy's name is Calvin...throwing an "a" on the end doesn't work ... "Calvina"??

10. So called "Stripper" Names - a name does not define a child...naming your daughter Star does not mean she will be an Exotic Dancer....and naming her Amy doesn't mean she won't. Now before some of you mama's get all high and mighty...naming her Angel, Lovely, or Princess DOES NOT mean she will be a "good girl" the universe has a messed up sense of humor

And lastly...

11. If you do opt for an unique name or a creative spelling for a not so unique name don't get all bent out of shape when you have to pronounce and/or spell it or when people say or spell it wrong. Its going to happen. If you can't deal with it you may want to reconsider the name choice.

So like I said ladies this is all in fun and is not a personal attack on anyone....

by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (21-28):
mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM

AWESOME THIS IS!!!!clapping

christi34
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I've seen where a lady named her daughter La-a and got mad when people pronounced it wrong.

KMAsMommy9182
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I don't care what anyone names thier child, but all I can think about when I hear Maxwell is coffee.

Quoting _WC_Mama:

To me I just don't get WHY a name that someone picked for their child would offend people so much,if someone's child name was Jayden I am not going to get in a pissy mood because of that,it is kind of silly that people do that IMO,my children are Isaiah & Savannah,anyone angry about those names who cares they aren't your children....

Also as for Jessica naming her daughter Maxwell,I have seen BOYS named Leslie,Tracey,Ashley,so what if her name is Maxwell,I am pretty sure she may be the only Maxwell that is a Girl in her school....

Blue Ivy is a pretty name,I have heard worse...

reche1978
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Quoting ebbierowe:

Quoting art.diva:

Love it! I don't see why anyone would get upset.

its a site of womena there always petty shit going on

momswag
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Number 11 is my favorite. I cannot bring this point home more! 

shannonw79
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM
I was 18 when I had my first. I screwed her name up soooo bad, its embarrassing now that I'm in my 30s
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.love.my.kids.
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Oh jeeze, this reminded me of when I was looking for a name for my dd. My df was so set on the names Jizzabelle & Rainbow Starlight.. he has quite the imagination, but it was a big hell no for me. I didn't want my dd to be called Jizz for short or get picked on, and I thought I was the dumbest name ever, but funny. And Rainbow Starlight, ya still wasn't happening.. so I ended up naming her Jaeleigh Rae, and I love it. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkik526
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM
bump to read later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN