Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you leave the kids in the car when you return the shopping cart?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you leave the kids in the car to return the shopping cart?

Options:

yes

no

somtimes

am expecting and havn't been there yet

yes, because they are older children (school age)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 526

View Results

I don't. If I can't find a parking space right next to the cart return I just load all of the groceries in the car, and take DS with me to return the cart. Now with another baby on the way it seems like I am going to be parking in the boondocks to insure I get a space right next to the cart return LOL.

ETA- kids, as in babies, as in not able to get out of the car say under 5.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Replies (151-160):
JacksMom1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I usually either put the groceries in the car then take him with me or, sometimes he gets fidgety and I'm afraid he'll flip out of the cart, so I put him in his car seat, put the groceries away and I take the keys with me and keep an eye on the car.
I once heard a story about a millionaire, I think a celebrity or news anchor in the '70's, his wife turned her back for a few seconds while putting the cart away and someone stole their son, and murdered him :-( I know they targeted and watched and waited for the perfect moment, but still.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KMAsMommy9182
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

There are a lot of paranoid mommies on here.  If someone wants to kidnap a child, they will find a way. Also, someone trying to steal a car is looking for an easy target, not someone that they will have to worry about possible kidnapping charges if they get caught.  Of course there are exceptions where some dumb criminal steals a car with a child in it, but the great majority of the time the intent is to steal the car, not the child.  Once they realize there is a child in the car, they try to get the child out of the car as quickly as possible.  

This does not mean I condone leaving a child in a car for any extended periods of time, but I think a lot of moms on here do go way overboard because they read 1 or 2 stories where something bad did happen.

Quoting Mazi184:

I usually try to park right next to the cart collectors exactly for this reason! My son is 6 months old so I'll click in his carseat and return the cart. If I can't find a spot close enough to a cart collector then I'll  take him with me and lug him back with me. Is it just me or are y'all paranoid some crazy people will see you leaving him in the car for a split second and calling CPS on you?? Maybe I'm just got the newmom crazies.

Mazi184

I was an army brat, and a former commissary bagger, haha. Ugh I wish I lived on post now, even if just for the little perks like that. I don't know why other grocery stores won't do that.

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

I just have the bagger return my cart for me...but this is why I love shopping the commissary!

KMAsMommy9182

Publix does that too.

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

I just have the bagger return my cart for me...but this is why I love shopping the commissary!

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM
When my kids were little I took them with,me. Now they are older...they put the cart away...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I don't leave him alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mazi184
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

There is just too many crazies for me to leave my LO in the car if I'm not parked right next to the cart collector. I never thought about someone trying to steal a car, but that's a good point,  whether or not your child is with you.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

There are a lot of paranoid mommies on here.  If someone wants to kidnap a child, they will find a way. Also, someone trying to steal a car is looking for an easy target, not someone that they will have to worry about possible kidnapping charges if they get caught.  Of course there are exceptions where some dumb criminal steals a car with a child in it, but the great majority of the time the intent is to steal the car, not the child.  Once they realize there is a child in the car, they try to get the child out of the car as quickly as possible.  

This does not mean I condone leaving a child in a car for any extended periods of time, but I think a lot of moms on here do go way overboard because they read 1 or 2 stories where something bad did happen.

Quoting Mazi184:

I usually try to park right next to the cart collectors exactly for this reason! My son is 6 months old so I'll click in his carseat and return the cart. If I can't find a spot close enough to a cart collector then I'll  take him with me and lug him back with me. Is it just me or are y'all paranoid some crazy people will see you leaving him in the car for a split second and calling CPS on you?? Maybe I'm just got the newmom crazies.

grey7399
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I always did.  I always parked close to the cart return. 

The worst I ever experienced was my kids not putting their buckles on before I got back to the vehicle.

Its Arizona, its 118F on blacktop.  After buying $400 in groceries with 2 - 3 kids, and then getting everyone to the car, yer damned skippy I put them in the car, got the AC on and put the cart away myself.

Paperfishies
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I always try to park right next to one...if I don't park next to one, then I don't put it in the car return.  I'm not leaving my kids in a car, even for 1 minute when it is 90 degrees out.

sweet.lil.mama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Yes sometimes, I live on an island and know alot of the people. Off island at Walmart I would never do that, there homeless people in the walmart that we go to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN