Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you leave the kids in the car when you return the shopping cart?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you leave the kids in the car to return the shopping cart?

Options:

yes

no

somtimes

am expecting and havn't been there yet

yes, because they are older children (school age)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 526

View Results

I don't. If I can't find a parking space right next to the cart return I just load all of the groceries in the car, and take DS with me to return the cart. Now with another baby on the way it seems like I am going to be parking in the boondocks to insure I get a space right next to the cart return LOL.

ETA- kids, as in babies, as in not able to get out of the car say under 5.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I do each and every time.

I also leave them in the car when I run into the convenient store for 2mins to grab milk or pay for gas.  I am not getting 4 kids all in car seats out every single time.  I simply lock the doors and take the keys with me and they are never out of sight. 

kristyann
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisa601
Mine are older now but I've left them in the car. My Tahoe has remote start so I can lock the doors and start the engine so the air/heat comes on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stykir
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM

depends on weather and how close i am to the cart return stall. i always try to park near one, so if i'm only a couple spaces away from one, i'll get my groceries and kids into the car first, especially if it's really cold, snowing, or raining. otherwise i load the groceries, take the buggy back, then bring the kids back to the car. 

my kids are 5 and 2

christi34
Mine are older now but when they were babies I wouldn't do it unless my mom was in there with my baby which was almost all of the time.

Even now with having older kids my son will put the buggy up for me while I am watching him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Holztastic

I don't go to the store without someone else generally (I don't drive). But if I did, since my child is older and can walk I would have him walk with me. If I had a smaller child I would probably carry him/her. If I had more than one child, I wouldn't have a serious problem with strapping them in and leaving them. I would park very close to a cart return.

Mommieplus4
I take my kids me every time I return cart (and I return carts all the time). As for leaving kids in my car alone while returning cart. It can take a split second for someone to take the vehicle even when locked
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM
No. And sometimes, I don't return my cart.
*waits for stones to be thrown at my head*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Red227
1 mom liked this

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting Red227:

This is why I choose to park as closely to the cart corral :)

Because, YES, I leave my son in the car, buckled, to return the cart.

The horrors!!!!!!

What is your limit of parking spaces being away from the cart return that you will leave your son in the car? Do you do it in extreme temperatures?

1. I will only do it if I can see him/the car the entire time.

2. Extreme temps? He's in there for what, 20 seconds at the most? No one is going to die from heat exhaustion or freezing rain in 20 seconds. If they do, they were meant to not live on this planet.

vannadahlia

I take my 18 month old with me, he loves being in the cart anyway. I usually give him a lolipop if he helps me put the cart back. I have another one on the way so teaching him to help me without crying or throwing a tantrum is the best thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN